impact crop secondary issues

chixNW

Chirping
Mar 5, 2018
I have read so much on this issue on this site. My chicken brahma, two year old, found a week ago with an impacted crop like a balloon. No foul smell. She was just laying in a corner. Picked her up and she started puking some of the liquid out. I put her in a warm place in a dog cage. Kept food away for 24 hours. Gave her the cinim, baker powder, etc. mix. and gave her vitamin water with apple cider. Messaged her 4 times a day. First two days a little bit better than it really got smaller to a hand full by day seven. I no longer feel any clumps, feels normal, just doesn't empty completely by morning. Put her on stool softener with scrambled eggs in morning and wet chicken flock food in afternoon. At night I take her food away, so I can examine her crop in the morning. Now I just noticed a large lump on left of vent and a small lump on right of vent. Put finger in vent and pushed lumps to vent and there is not a lump inside her so not an egg. Not sure what organs this could be. I have been concern what caused this in the first place so was going do a fecal test at the vet. I do have animal antibiotics, should I put her on this. I am so sad as I thought everything was going so well until I saw the lumps today when I was checking her over after the message.

I only read about secondary infection in sour crop ..but if bird having some shot of Acidifying Copper Sulphate It will kill all nasty bacteria that cause crop issue ..

I have read so much on this issue on this site. My chicken brahma, two year old, found a week ago with an impacted crop like a balloon. No foul smell. She was just laying in a corner. Picked her up and she started puking some of the liquid out. I put her in a warm place in a dog cage. Kept food away for 24 hours. Gave her the cinim, baker powder, etc. mix. and gave her vitamin water with apple cider. Messaged her 4 times a day. First two days a little bit better than it really got smaller to a hand full by day seven. I no longer feel any clumps, feels normal, just doesn't empty completely by morning. Put her on stool softener with scrambled eggs in morning and wet chicken flock food in afternoon. At night I take her food away, so I can examine her crop in the morning. Now I just noticed a large lump on left of vent and a small lump on right of vent. Put finger in vent and pushed lumps to vent and there is not a lump inside her so not an egg. Not sure what organs this could be. I have been concern what caused this in the first place so was going do a fecal test at the vet. I do have animal antibiotics, should I put her on this. I am so sad as I thought everything was going so well until I saw the lumps today when I was checking her over after the message.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.
If you have vet care that is always best.

Can you take some photos of the lumps around the vent?

I only read about secondary infection in sour crop ..but if bird having some shot of Acidifying Copper Sulphate It will kill all nasty bacteria that cause crop issue ..
I will pick some up today, what dosage to give her.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.
If you have vet care that is always best.

Can you take some photos of the lumps around the vent?
I was going drop a poop sample off at the vet to see if she has a worm issue. The vet won't be able to see her until the end of March. Do you have any suggestions what type of worms to check for? I will try to get a photo but she has lots of feathers so not sure how well it will show, but I will try.

I was going drop a poop sample off at the vet to see if she has a worm issue. The vet won't be able to see her until the end of March. Do you have any suggestions what type of worms to check for? I will try to get a photo but she has lots of feathers so not sure how well it will show, but I will try.

Chickens can have several different types of worms. Getting a fecal float is always best.
You could de-worm her with Safeguard (fenbendazole) or Equimax horse paste (Praziquantel/Ivermectin) if you feel that worms are causing her problems.

More concerning is the 2lumps you feel around the vent. That could be fat, but with her symptoms I would hazard a guess she is having some reproductive problems.

Very good info on treating crop issues.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

As for Acidified Copper Sulfate you will likely need to order it online. Most hatcheries like Murray McMurray or Cackle carry it as well as online vet supply like JeffersVetSupply and FirstStateVet carry the product you want. Dosing information is on the packaging.
Follow directions carefully and only use in nonmetal containers, this is a product that needs to be administered with great care.
acidifiedcopper.jpg

ABA1.0.jpg

Chickens can have several different types of worms. Getting a fecal float is always best.
You could de-worm her with Safeguard (fenbendazole) or Equimax horse paste (Praziquantel/Ivermectin) if you feel that worms are causing her problems.

More concerning is the 2lumps you feel around the vent. That could be fat, but with her symptoms I would hazard a guess she is having some reproductive problems.

Very good info on treating crop issues.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

As for Acidified Copper Sulfate you will likely need to order it online. Most hatcheries like Murray McMurray or Cackle carry it as well as online vet supply like JeffersVetSupply and FirstStateVet carry the product you want. Dosing information is on the packaging.
Follow directions carefully and only use in nonmetal containers, this is a product that needs to be administered with great care.
acidifiedcopper.jpg

ABA1.0.jpg
I just got the stuff on your first example picture. I guess to research to convert to 1 gallon water for her. I had to take my daughter to the doctors today took all day. So waiting for doctor I did research and found a local farm store that carried this stuff. Between waiting for her prescription we went to the farm store. Couldn't help seeing all the baby chickens , I wanted take some but have a sick chicken in the room for brooding the babies. So now I know to put this in the water, I was going to look if they have a web sight for administering correct dosage for chickens, I just don't want to harm her.

I'll add the dosage method but as u are about to go for test first its the best thing to diagnose the problem first
I agree, I am trying to check things off, if worms are involved, and etc. from there. I called the vet first about the testing for worm. They were okay $25, cost, but when I dropped off I guess this is the first. At the time I didn't know what to test for, so I didn't mention float test. Not sure what this means. I just asked to do testing for worms. I hope I didn't just waist money for this. I will try to get a picture of her lumps in a while, thinking of putting a ruler or something so you can see. Maybe string around lumps.

vent.JPG
IMG_1123.JPG
I had a hard time posting photos hopefully they made it. I changed her water today with ASV and it gave her the runs. She has not had this yet until now. I took a picture of her standing and the lump next to her vent on the left. The picture of her vent with lump was hard to capture
vent.JPG

due to all her feathers.

Back
Top Bottom