impacted chicks

Tenmore

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Ogden utah
Need help chics not doing well .......poop stuck to feathers and they are blocked up.....what's causing this and what do I need to do

Gently run some warm water over their little bums and loosen the poo that is stuck on there. Then, when they are clean, apply some vaseline or neosporin, without pain med, to the vent area to help keep the poo from sticking again. Put some ACV into their drinking water for a couple days. This is called pasty butt and there are many links on here to help. I think it is 1 tsp ACV per quart...this should take care of the problem. Make sure that you watch for this to recurr at least twice a day. Immediately clean off any poo and reapply the vaseline, etc.

Last edited:
I have been reading Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens. In Chapter on "Chick Problems and Solutions" it states one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (ACV) - (I had to look that one up) to one gallon of water will act as a probiotic. I had two chicks with poop on the butt. The warm water helped soften it up and then it was gone. The chicks were fine with it. I seemed to be the one who had to 'get over it' so to speak. Hope this helps you out.

Back
Top Bottom