Chick poop

Donette

Chirping
Sep 9, 2023
total newbie here. We have some light Brahma chicks, about 7-10 days old I think from the wing feathers and a whisper of tail feathers starting. One of them had a big hard marble sized ball of poop stuck to it, which I soaked off. At least one other (I’m hoping just one) is having very watery poops-no blood or mucous, just watery poop. These came from TSC last Friday and we are doing our best to keep the temps inthe correct range over their little makeshift home. Are these situations normal? These things are giving me anxiety and I hope I do right for them!

total newbie here. We have some light Brahma chicks, about 7-10 days old I think from the wing feathers and a whisper of tail feathers starting. One of them had a big hard marble sized ball of poop stuck to it, which I soaked off. At least one other (I’m hoping just one) is having very watery poops-no blood or mucous, just watery poop. These came from TSC last Friday and we are doing our best to keep the temps inthe correct range over their little makeshift home. Are these situations normal? These things are giving me anxiety and I hope I do right for them!
The marble poop sounds like pasty butt (you handled it very nicely). You can give them hard boiled egg yolks with a bit of black pepper for that, it’s always helped my chicks with it.

The runny poop could be a sign of coccidiosis or it could be the chick didn’t eat much food.

Coccidiosis can be treated with corid. Which should be available at tractor supply. I’ve only used powdered, I mix 1 teaspoon per gallon of water for chicks.

All of these things are common amongst chicks and just chickens in general. 😊

The only time none of my chicks had pasty butt was when I fed them homemade. Corn meal, quinoa, and flax seed. They soon graduated to oats, wheat, sunflower seeds, and quinoa. They won't eat the corn.

The marble poop sounds like pasty butt (you handled it very nicely). You can give them hard boiled egg yolks with a bit of black pepper for that, it’s always helped my chicks with it.

The runny poop could be a sign of coccidiosis or it could be the chick didn’t eat much food.

Coccidiosis can be treated with corid. Which should be available at tractor supply. I’ve only used powdered, I mix 1 teaspoon per gallon of water for chicks.

All of these things are common amongst chicks and just chickens in general. 😊
thank you! I appreciate the reply and specific remedy. Very helpful.

don't worry too much – you're not alone in feeling a bit anxious when raising chicks! It's great that you're keeping an eye on their health.

The marble-sized ball of poop sounds like it might have been caused by dehydration or something they ate. Soaking it off was the right move. As for the watery poops in one of them, it can happen occasionally. Just make sure they have access to clean water and keep an eye on the chick. If it continues or if they seem lethargic, it might be worth a vet check.

When you get chicks from places like TSC, their health can vary. It's good you're monitoring the temperature – that's crucial at this age. Just make sure they have a warm spot to go to and a cooler spot in their brooder to regulate their temperature.

Remember, raising chicks is a learning experience, and you're doing your best. Mistakes happen, but you're clearly taking good care of them. Keep observing, keep them comfortable, and you'll see them grow up healthy and strong! 😊🐣

What are you feeding them? Medicated chick feed will prevent coccidiosis. If you are already feeding that do not also give Corid.
Foods other than chicken feed, such as veggies and fruits could give them diarrhea, not to mention they dilute the nutrition needed for proper growth. Stick to chick feed only.

Back
Top Bottom