Impacted crop and

JoePa

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Lehigh County Pa.
From reading various threads on this site it seems so many chickens get an impacted or other crop problems - I wonder why this happens - are they being given food that causes this or what - it doesn’t seem natural to have this problem - are there certain foods that promote these conditions - any thoughts on this - thank you

In 4 years I've only had one chicken with impacted crop.
She ate egg soaked straw. But long grass, hay and possibly stuffing itself with dry feed and not drinking water.
Two and a half days of crop massages several times daily and wet mash and water in a dog crate fixed it. GC

What are the symptoms? My local feed store was out of chick grit and two separate employees at separate visits told me I wouldn't need it anyhoo, they both raise chickens and never buy it. I was super paranoid about it. I've been out harvesting tiny rocks, gravel and sand. Finally, at 3 weeks they had the chick grit so I'm good, but I'm curious about symptoms.

Thanks!

What are the symptoms? My local feed store was out of chick grit and two separate employees at separate visits told me I wouldn't need it anyhoo, they both raise chickens and never buy it. I was super paranoid about it. I've been out harvesting tiny rocks, gravel and sand. Finally, at 3 weeks they had the chick grit so I'm good, but I'm curious about symptoms.

Thanks!
How old are they? Technically when they are only on chick food, they don't need it. However, it is better for them to have chick grit, and I'm glad you were giving them other things to digest their food with. (Besides no treats no fun for us... I mean them😁)

How old are they? Technically when they are only on chick food, they don't need it. However, it is better for them to have chick grit, and I'm glad you were giving them other things to digest their food with. (Besides no treats no fun for us... I mean them😁)
Hi, my Baker's Dozen are 3.5 weeks old but of course they're getting treats from Mama and her "Chook chooking!!" They get scrambled eggs every other day but are starting to get very demanding and they want egg!!! My Dumpling broke out through a gate over the brooder this morning and snatched egg right off the end of my fork!!! Stunned me and my GSD whom I'm training to bond with them and be their personal body guard dog.

And they spend hours a day pasturing and happily nibbling away as they forage!! They are really amazing foragers already, and enjoying dust bathes, etc. It's just amazing how they just naturally know what to do outside!

So, yeah-they've eaten slugs, worms, ants, even a grasshopper already. Making me NERVOUS without that grit. Eased my mind for a measly $6! Now I don't need to worry.

Last week I had a handful of scratch and some mealworms added in, and I had to go somewhere so I dumped it into their feed jar and screwed it onto the feeder base. OMG,I came home to one of my Dominikers fully INSIDE the jar!!!! She had somehow knocked it off the base with the help of the gang I'm sure, and eaten her way in. I was just mortified!! I thought she was dead, or about to be!!! I had to shake her out of the jar!! She's absolutely fine!!! Her name is Lava. My kids named her. Personally, she should be a Charlie or something because her beak is hilarious!! It looks like someone drew a sharpie mustache on it (like Charlie Chaplin), or it looks like Charlie Brown's shirt. Here she is today:

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_130159026.jpg
    IMG_20200702_130159026.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom