Impacted crop - hard and size of softball

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by runt, Sep 13, 2007.

1. runt

runt New Egg

Sep 13, 2007
    One of my buffs has an impacted crop that may be too far gone...it's about the size of a softball and just as hard [​IMG]

Last night we gave her olive oil and massaged it for quiet awhile...it did get noticable softer but not how it should be. We also tried the baking soda flush and not much happened. I was able to get some liquid back out but zero solids. I'm worried that she's too far gone...

I noticed this morning that she pooped...that's a good sign right? But her crop is still full but not as hard.

Should I try flushing her again? Is there anything else we can do? And no surgery is not an option.

Any ideas??

2. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
  3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    the advice in the link posted is spot-on...
    If it remains impacted then only your vet should open it up and clear it out.

4. runt

runt New Egg

Sep 13, 2007
    Here's the update...we gave her another dose of oil and it help. She barely made it through the night and barely able to open her eyes...so we had no other choice but to finish the job. [​IMG]

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I'm sorry to hear that.

On larger waterfowl, it is possible to cut open the crop yourself and do the surgery. On a chicken, though, it might be tough. You were brave to do the right thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by