Impacted crop? I’m worried help

Briannaquinn16

Songster
Feb 18, 2021
Hi I have a black silkie female named Smokey, she has been doing this for two days now
I thought she was adjusting her crop but she keeps doing it. And her crop feels squishy what is this? and how can I cure this?

Hi I have a black silkie female named Smokey, she has been doing this for two days now

I thought she was adjusting her crop but she keeps doing it. And her crop feels squishy what is this? and how can I cure it
Is this not your video?🤪 You were confusing me there! Make sure her crop is empty in the morning before she gets anything to eat. If it is not empty then something needs to be done. When does she do this? Mine do this on the perch at bed time when their crops are huge before sleeping.

Is this not your video?🤪 You were confusing me there! Make sure her crop is empty in the morning before she gets anything to eat. If it is not empty then something needs to be done. When does she do this? Mine do this on the perch at bed time when their crops are huge before sleeping.
She does this during the day and before she sleeps
4CC38CBB-82A1-4CDB-9EB3-AE802B79C9F8.png

I'm surprised her appetite is so good. Yes, she has sour crop. She's doing the neck gyrations because her crop is so darned uncomfortable, probably has a burning sensation.

The treatment is cheap and easy. Buy a tube of miconazole vaginal yeast cream if you're in the US. In Europe, you may need a vet to obtain an anti-yeast med.

Treat twice a day for seven days. Just stick a mouth full of cream in her beak.

With sour crop, her breath would smell like sourdough bread starter and you'd likely find air 'you'd be able to hear it squishing' when checking her crop. Yeast may be visible as a white growth in the mouth/throat and/or around the vent.

Wait and check her crop in the morning to see if it is empty before taking any action. Sour crop tends to put them off eating, so do monitor to see if she is getting to the feeder or grazing. Out of all my birds, my Silkie has the oddest crop. It's small and usually so full that it's rock hard. When she was a chick, I thought she was impacted for sure, but that's just how her crop is. Even today, she's brooding and it's so full that I could see the pellet shapes through her skin.

It may be that she has a piece of grit that's not sitting quite right, causing her to want to make a few adjustments.

With sour crop, her breath would smell like sourdough bread starter and you'd likely find air 'you'd be able to hear it squishing' when checking her crop. Yeast may be visible as a white growth in the mouth/throat and/or around the vent.

Wait and check her crop in the morning to see if it is empty before taking any action. Sour crop tends to put them off eating, so do monitor to see if she is getting to the feeder or grazing. Out of all my birds, my Silkie has the oddest crop. It's small and usually so full that it's rock hard. When she was a chick, I thought she was impacted for sure, but that's just how her crop is. Even today, she's brooding and it's so full that I could see the pellet shapes through her skin.

It may be that she has a piece of grit that's not sitting quite right, causing her to want to make a few adjustments.
Yeah her breath doesn’t smell at all actually and also thanks for the advice

I'm surprised her appetite is so good. Yes, she has sour crop. She's doing the neck gyrations because her crop is so darned uncomfortable, probably has a burning sensation.

The treatment is cheap and easy. Buy a tube of miconazole vaginal yeast cream if you're in the US. In Europe, you may need a vet to obtain an anti-yeast med.

Treat twice a day for seven days. Just stick a mouth full of cream in her beak.
will the Viginal yeast cream help her if so how much should I give her? And is that good for chickens

Can you please tell us if you are in the US or some other country? This is important to know when we recommend medication. In fact, knowing your state will allow us to tell you what medications you're permitted to buy in that state.

Usually, the yeast cream sold in the US is safe to give to chickens. The dose is about half an inch of cream into the beak twice a day for seven days.

Back
Top Bottom