Impacted crop on underweight hen

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
I have an underweight hen who has an impacted crop. It's been impacted for three days. I am giving her a mix of probiotics/electrolytes with olive oil and water throughout the day and massaging the crop. I took away food.

I've added in a multivitamin and B complex. Food has been withheld for two days. Should I start giving her food? If so, what food? She is bony and has another health issue already.

How much yogurt each day?
Maybe start with a tablespoon with some mixed in pellets of her normal feed and wait to see how her droppings look after some hours.

You can also offer pieces of chilled coconut oil several times a day.

And keep massaging the crop carefully downwards at least 6 times a day. Never massage in upward motion as it can lead to aspiration.

What kind of laxative is it?
Is this safe to give her and should I?

Today, and first thing this morning, her crop feels full but with liquid. I don't know what to do?

Attachments

• PXL_20231002_215523596.jpg
    PXL_20231002_215523596.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 9
Maybe a little watermelon would help and it would probably be so delicious for her! Sounds like the little girl needs some happiness. I’m not sure about the leg but watermelon recently helped my impacted crop girl. 🙏🏻🐓 I hope she feels better soon! Personally when I’ve had impacted crops I’ve given watermelon and sometimes hard smal pieces of coconut oil. I’ve never withdrawn food and it typcially clears up on its own. Just my experience.

Maybe a little watermelon would help and it would probably be so delicious for her! Sounds like the little girl needs some happiness. I’m not sure about the leg but watermelon recently helped my impacted crop girl. 🙏🏻🐓 I hope she feels better soon! Personally when I’ve had impacted crops I’ve given watermelon and sometimes hard smal pieces of coconut oil. I’ve never withdrawn food and it typcially clears up on its own. Just my experience.
Have you treated an impacted crop when it feels full of liquid?

How old is she?
What is the other health issue you mentioned?
When did you last deworm her?
When did she last lay an egg?

I would tube feed her some raw scrambled egg yolks with sugar to help with nutrition. And let her have some rough sand or graniite grit to help break down the impaction.

How old is she?
What is the other health issue you mentioned?
When did you last deworm her?
When did she last lay an egg?

I would tube feed her some raw scrambled egg yolks with sugar to help with nutrition. And let her have some rough sand or graniite grit to help break down the impaction.
A year and a half old.

She has torn ligaments in her leg and will not use the leg. It's been weeks now. :(

I dewormed early summer.

It's been a long while since she laid....after she injured her foot.

Back
Top Bottom