Impacted crop or something else?

ManueB

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Sep 15, 2021
Daluis, 06 France
Hello,
Caramel, my two and a half year old hybrid , is sick since last Sunday.
She began just being very lethargic, as she didn't lay for two days we thought she was eggbound. However she laid on Tuesday and then again on Thursday and Friday.
She has been going downhill quickly and hasn't been eating any layer food and very little food at all since Thursday.
I thought she maybe had impacted crop because it seemed her crop was slightly swollen and hard in the morning
We massaged it several times a day but it never got anything out. Now her crop seems completely empty when waking up, but maybe it is because she has stopped eating.
During the last four days I've been giving her some scrambled egg which she ate first and doesn't now. She will not eat mashed layer with water and she refused sardines also. She really seems in pain everytime she eats, she will shake her head afterwards quite a bit and scratch it and wipe her beak a lot. She is also constantly trying to eat small stones without success.
I looked twice in her trachea and couldn't see anything. I hear no wheezing, she is breathing normally.
She has lost a lot of weight, she still poops but very little, her poops are liquid black and white.
I will not keep her isolated because she still has enough energy to go very upset in the dog crate trying to get out, she is really flighty and it is quite difficult to handle her.
One last detail : since she began laying at five months she has almost always laid wrinkled eggs, that went from a barely perceptible wrinkle, to completely wrinkled. Curiously her last three eggs were normal.

We have started a dewormer (flubendazole) yesterday. Any other advice would be appreciated, I'm in France so I can not give antibiotics to my hens. If she doesn't get better in a few days we will either give her painkillers to the end or have her put down.

When I began reading the symptoms of your hen, my thought was heavy worm load. This will cause all of those symptoms, and you have already reached this conclusion on your own.

If she does have a heavy worm load, it can send her into shock as the worms die. Be sure she has these things:

Provide fresh water with sugar and electrolytes. Provide grit within easy access. Provided easily digested foods for the next several days. Egg, tofu, boiled rice.

Be sure you worm the entire flock.

Thank you for your help, I will try to make sure she has all the support she needs. It's a five days treatment, I'll update on her evolution then.

We're using a medication meant for babies as it's the only way to get it without prescription here, and a bottle would be enough for two hens only. I'll have to see if I can get it in another form to treat the rest of the flock.

Caramel has shown slight improvement since Wednesday, the last day of the deworming treatment. She nibbled some layer feed and seemed slightly more active. However she didn't eat anything at all before that ( she refused all of the food we offered), and is still eating almost nothing.
She isn't out of the wood yet and it's not yet conclusive wether the dewormer helped or not. I'll update if there is any evolution.

Her evolution has been positive and I'm now sure she's on her way back to health. She is eating layer feed normally, dustbathing, and doing all the things healthy chicken do just a little slower. She needs to out a lot of weight back on.
Thank you very much for your help @azygous .

Back
Top Bottom