Impacted Crop or Sour Crop?

I hope you helpful folks don't mind me hopping in on this post.

One on my pullets passed suddenly yesterday which prompted a widespread inspection of the rest of the flock. This is the first year of having chickens and I thought things were going well - aside from the lice, which is another matter.

I have one wyandotte pullet (~4ish months) who has always been smaller than the rest, but after inspection noticed she has a bit of an extended crop. She got put up for the day with just garlic water in the coop (no bedding in this area, just in case).

Massaging her crop does something but as ChickensRsmart mentioned, she turns her head and shivers like there's discomfort. The mass has gone down already some today, which is promising and I can hear gurgling after massaging. There's a smaller hard lump sitting near the bottom still, but it's only been a few hours. She's so tiny I'm afraid to try and syringe water, but she is drinking on her own.

Poops are nearly all water, but the first one this morning smelled awful and looked like watery squash babyfood (sour crop?). I have seen some partially digested pellets and green matter come out. She's a bit droopy (wings down, head tucked) understandably if she's dehydrated and underweight, but will move around to get water and watch the others. She does want to eat though.

Am I on the right track?

She's my sweetest hen and I'm really trying not to lose her too.

(Here's a photo for reference - the bump in the front is not all crop, it may be about the size of an elongated ping pong ball now)

Attachments

• 243327873_1098708660667540_7423034945753268360_n.jpg
    243327873_1098708660667540_7423034945753268360_n.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 2

One on my pullets passed suddenly yesterday which prompted a widespread inspection of the rest of the flock. This is the first year of having chickens and I thought things were going well - aside from the lice, which is another matter.

I have one wyandotte pullet (~4ish months) who has always been smaller than the rest, but after inspection noticed she has a bit of an extended crop. She got put up for the day with just garlic water in the coop (no bedding in this area, just in case).

Massaging her crop does something but as ChickensRsmart mentioned, she turns her head and shivers like there's discomfort. The mass has gone down already some today, which is promising and I can hear gurgling after massaging. There's a smaller hard lump sitting near the bottom still, but it's only been a few hours. She's so tiny I'm afraid to try and syringe water, but she is drinking on her own.

Poops are nearly all water, but the first one this morning smelled awful and looked like watery squash babyfood (sour crop?). I have seen some partially digested pellets and green matter come out. She's a bit droopy (wings down, head tucked) understandably if she's dehydrated and underweight, but will move around to get water and watch the others. She does want to eat though.

Am I on the right track?

(Here's a photo for reference - the bump in the front is not all crop, it may be about the size of an elongated ping pong ball now)
Go ahead and start your own thread on this topic. Your chicken may have more complex issues than merely a crop issue. It would be much easier and less confusing to this thread if we could discuss your issues, which could involve infection or a possible virus on another thread.

Am I on the right track?

Go ahead and start your own thread on this topic. Your chicken may have more complex issues than merely a crop issue. It would be much easier and less confusing to this thread if we could discuss your issues, which could involve infection or a possible virus on another thread.

Link to their new thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/crop-issue-in-underweight-pullet-sour-crop-worms.1495413/

Back
Top Bottom