Impacted crop or sour crop

Chez Poulette

Chirping
Mar 5, 2021
I need some help. We noticed that one of our 2 year old hens crown was flopped over and she was lethargic. After some research we thought it could be a problem with her crop. It was distended but not hard. My husband flushed it with some water and epsom salt, but she was not isolated. This evening I gave her several small seringes of veg oil to lubricate her and after 30 minutes we gently inverted her and I massaged her crop towards her downturned head. A lot of brown smelly liquid came out for quite a while. We took breaks and she was very good. No big chunks of anything came out and it felt like her crop was empty, it gurgled and she seemed to belch a bit. I have her isolated with only water for tonight, tomorrow I will start with some chick starter mixed with water and later some scrambled eggs.
Could there still be an obstruction or could it be something different?
How should I treat her?

Don’t attempt to vomit her again. Is there a smell coming from her beak? Take away food and water for the night then in the morning before you give her anything, feel her crop.

Don’t attempt to vomit her again. Is there a smell coming from her beak? Take away food and water for the night then in the morning before you give her anything, feel her crop.
Also, she had access to water with apple cider vinegar mixed in. I did not know to take it out. Should she stay isolated?

Update- this morning she is not standing up. She keeps shaking her head and closing her eyes. I put some scratch mix with mealworms mixed with the monistat. She shows no interest.
Should I try to put the monistat in her mouth with a syringe?

I need some help. We noticed that one of our 2 year old hens crown was flopped over and she was lethargic. After some research we thought it could be a problem with her crop. It was distended but not hard. My husband flushed it with some water and epsom salt, but she was not isolated. This evening I gave her several small seringes of veg oil to lubricate her and after 30 minutes we gently inverted her and I massaged her crop towards her downturned head. A lot of brown smelly liquid came out for quite a while. We took breaks and she was very good. No big chunks of anything came out and it felt like her crop was empty, it gurgled and she seemed to belch a bit. I have her isolated with only water for tonight, tomorrow I will start with some chick starter mixed with water and later some scrambled eggs.
Could there still be an obstruction or could it be something different?
How should I treat her?
Update: she passed this afternoon. I would like to learn from this and figure out what we did wrong. Her comb began to droop on Tuesday and she died Friday morning.

Back
Top Bottom