Impacted Crop... PLEASE HELP

Just remember that if he's not drinking, he'll get dehydrated and the gut, which includes the crop, will stop moving and he will die. If he were mine I would tube fluids to him and try to break up the blockage that way. Supportive fluids are given at the rate of 30ml/kg every 6-8 hours according to "Clinical Avian Medicine".

http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/avmed/cam.html
Download the entire book (two volumes): Clinical Avian Medicine
(Large file - please allow several moments to download)
From: http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/avmed/cam/07_emergency_and_critical_care.pdf

Supportive Care

SICK-BIRD ENCLOSURES
Sick birds are often hypothermic and should be placed

in heated (brooder-type) enclosures

b (Fig 7.7) in a quiet
environment (see Chapter 1, Clinical Practice). A temperature
of 85° F (29° C) with 70% humidity is desirable
for most sick birds. If brooders are not equipped with a
humidity source, placing a small dish of water in the
enclosure will often supply adequate humidity. A moist
towel that is heated and placed on the bottom of a cage
or incubator rapidly humidifies the environment, as indicated
by the fogging of the acrylic cage front.

FLUID THERAPY
Oral Administration
Oral administration is the ideal method of giving fluids.
This method is more commonly used in mildly dehydrated
birds or in conjunction with subcutaneous (SC)
or intravenous (IV) therapy. Oral rehydration (30 ml/kg
PO q 6-8 h) also may be used in larger birds (eg, waterfowl)
that are difficult to restrain for parenteral fluid
therapy.

ORAL NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS
Below are listed some of the oral nutritional supplements
that can be gavage-fed to debilitated birds. Various
hand-feeding formulas are on the market and, as a
whole, are far superior to the homemade formulas used
decades ago that contained monkey biscuits, peanut butter
and ground seeds. Commercially available hand-feeding
formulas for baby birds are often utilized in the treatment
of sick and debilitated adult birds. The quantity
that can be fed at one time to a sick bird is greatly
reduced from that of baby birds. On the average, a baby
parrot can accommodate 10% of its body weight per
feeding due to the elasticity of the crop and its rapid
emptying. Adult birds have a greatly decreased crop
capacity, averaging 3% of their body weight. Additionally,
sick birds are less tolerant of food in the crop and care
must be taken to avoid regurgitation and/or aspiration.
A sick or debilitated bird should always have its
hydration corrected prior to attempting to initiate
oral gavage-feeding.

-Kathy

well i dont think the maggots did much... i saw him eat a couple, but it seemed he bit them in half, doubt if the ones he ate survived.. then i had the idea of scrambling an egg soaked in oil to get him to eat the maggots, and i think the rest of the maggots died. starting to consider the surgery, cant stand to watch him starve... question about the hydro therapy... if i put this water down in there, where is the blockage gonna go? it is pretty large, will it come up? my hesitation with the surgery is that i wont be able to close the wound, and infection issues.. it might be the only way to go.

well i dont think the maggots did much... i saw him eat a couple, but it seemed he bit them in half, doubt if the ones he ate survived.. then i had the idea of scrambling an egg soaked in oil to get him to eat the maggots, and i think the rest of the maggots died. starting to consider the surgery, cant stand to watch him starve... question about the hydro therapy... if i put this water down in there, where is the blockage gonna go? it is pretty large, will it come up? my hesitation with the surgery is that i wont be able to close the wound, and infection issues.. it might be the only way to go.
I would send Kathy(casportpony) a pm,she will guide you through the tubing. I believe she has stated that she will give help over phone. Yes,the blockage will be thrown up by chicken.

I would start by trying to get the mass to break up and digest naturally by tubing water and baby bird food. That is a much safer option that the other two.

-Kathy

i just tubed him using a piece of hose from my nebulizer and a large TS syringe... used the baking soda and water... nothing happened. i tried it 4 times... maybe i didnt use a long enough length.. i used about 7-8 inches of tube, it was in a few inches... there was alot of water on the towel... but im sure i got some in once, i thought i killed him, but he came around, i tried to work it up, it is a large mass of grass... its not budging... i feel helpless. he is so strong, still holding on... i think im having my boyfriend put him down when he gets home tonight, i cant watch him suffer any longer. should we try cutting him? ive read so many conflicting things on here.. some say its easy, some say dont do it.. some say superglue, hes dying. what to do. im going to go buy a childs ear syringe and try that, but im pretty convinced this thing is not coming up.

Back
Top Bottom