Impacted crop question

jjb1953

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2013
Yesterday I found one of my hens standing by herself not eager to leave the run or eat.
She kept opening her mouth and sticking her tongue out. She was also walking with her tail slightly downward and backside puffed up a little (not tail feathers).

Initially I had wondered if she had an infection as she had recently lost piece of her beak. I also wondered about being egg bound or something.
But then I noticed her crop was much bigger than the rest. I noticed in the morning. It was after I fed the chickens but she had not eaten that much and the crop was bigger and and warmer than the others.
I put her in a crate by herself gave her nutridrench in some water and gave her her own food (before I read not to feed her).
I checked her this morning. She is looking better than yesterday. I checked her crop. It is not as big as yesterday but still a little bulged and warm.

The day before yesterday (before she got sick) the kids were playing with the chickens. They fed them a lot of food not just chicken feed, but also bowls of grass and beetles.
I am wondering if she just ate too much grass.

In any case,
if it is/was impacted crop, would it begin to resolve so soon on it's own, or should I be looking into another problem?

Thanks

Jen

While I can't tell you that your hen is over with the impacted crop, I can tell you that hens feeding on lots of grass can tend to give them impacted crops because of the grass being "long" .. it tends to back up and can't be digested easily. Do you give your girls grit/oyster shell to aid in digestion?

I do give oyster shells, but probably not as often as I ought to.
Hi!
frow.gif
You said "I do give oyster shells..." Hens need oyster shell "on the side" at all times, 24/7 .. in other words, take a large tuna can or whatever you have on hand that will work and keep it filled..tack it up with a nail or two next to your layer feed. Your girls will eat the oyster shell as their bodies dictate. I think that might be your prob...keep us updated!!

Last edited:
Thank you. I will be sure they have oyster shells available to them at all times now.
I have also told my daughter not to give them pile of grass anymore.
And if I do, I will cut it up.

She seems to be feeling much better. I let her out of the cage and she is back with the other hens.
Her appetite back to normal. However, I checked the cage to see how her poops were. There were only a couple of small hard pieces. She also did not lay and egg today.
I checked to see if she was egg bound and there is nothing too obvious. Nothing I can see and no bulge.

Should I be considering something else?

She seems to be feeling much better. I let her out of the cage and she is back with the other hens.
Her appetite back to normal. However, I checked the cage to see how her poops were. There were only a couple of small hard pieces. She also did not lay and egg today.
I checked to see if she was egg bound and there is nothing too obvious. Nothing I can see and no bulge.

Should I be considering something else?
I think your girl just gorged herself on grass, etc., and got "backed up" ... I'd just watch her closely and she should start laying again shortly. Glad to hear that you'll be putting oyster shell out for them 24/7, and your daughter will not be giving them such huge quantities of grass all at once...wishing you all the best!!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom