Impacted crop, stool softeners

cosmicmama

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Hi, I’m dealing with a stubborn impacted crop. I’ve tried all the different methods on this forum. How often can I give the docusate sodium? It seems to be making the most difference thus far. It’s one step forward and two steps back. Crop is about the size of a golf ball and feels like clay. She is still pooping and laying eggs but getting skinnier every day. This has been going on for about three weeks.

A vet would be the best bet, in case they need to clear out the crop manually with surgery or by flushing with water. You can give 2 doccusate sodium soft gels, and make sure that she takes a lot of water. I would repeat ina day or two if needed. Then massage the doughy crop several times a day. Give mushy foods, and no whole grains until the crop empties. Scrambled soft egg and plain unsweetened yogurt are very good. If it goes down some, then offer a little wet chicken feed and more of the egg and yogurt.

It isn’t going down. I’ve watched some crop surgery videos and it feels like she has a wad like some I’ve seen on the videos. What does crop surgery cost at a vets office? I would have to drive at least two hours to get to the nearest avian vet.

I have no idea, but any surgery for a chicken will be costly. You need to call around and ask. There are a number of videos online, so I would watch as many as possible. There are 2 layers to stitch or use superglue, the crop and the skin. Here are a few that look good to watch:

I’m probably going to end up doing the surgery later this week. Old ER nurse, I figure I can handle it a lot better than putting her down. I’m just concerned about her pain. As I said, there area no vet options here and even if there were it wouldn’t be practical. Thanks.

Hi, I’m dealing with a stubborn impacted crop. I’ve tried all the different methods on this forum. How often can I give the docusate sodium? It seems to be making the most difference thus far. It’s one step forward and two steps back. Crop is about the size of a golf ball and feels like clay. She is still pooping and laying eggs but getting skinnier every day. This has been going on for about three weeks.
Dulcoflex used in impacted crop but not sure about the dose

I did crop surgery on my hen a couple months ago. She's fine and laying again. It stinks though, make sure your assistant has a strong stomach.

Back
Top Bottom