Impacted crop surgery

I have been a frequent visitor of this site but this is my first post. I wanted to share my experience with others who have had a similiar situation or are thinking about it.
My girl is 1 and 1/2 years old, a Barred Rock and just had her second surgery for impacted crop. Preformed by me. I have done alot of things, saved wild animals, nursed sick pets, dealt with the kids injuries, but never ever imagined I would operated on a chicken!!
I have 5 other chicken, all on the same feed, same scraps, ect. They free range a little everyday. I havent had a single problem with the others. But this girl is a bit of a piggy eater and has now gotten herself bound up twice. I have also had to treat her for sour crop.
So, one, I wanted to share how I did it, how I treated her, for the bound crop and the sour crop. I also wanted to know if anyone had some thought on what Im thinking is a cronic issue with my girl. Shes a sweet thing and I want her to be healthy.
For the bound crop I did at first try the oil and warm water and lots of massage but it wouldnt budge either time. The first time it was really huge, about the size of a baseball and it took me a few days of online research, reading my books and watching videos before I knew what it was or what to do. I also had an assistant, my mother visiting from out of town! The second time I was on my own. I put a black footy over her head and wrapped a towel around her wings and feet lying her on her side. Both times I spoke to her through the whole thing...I think it helped keep both of us calm. (well...calmer) I had the exacto blade and tweezers in alcohol, sanitized my hands, her skin, everything before during and after. I used super glue to close her, making sure the skin was good and clean and dry. She was immediately relieved and immediately hungry (of course). I did not feed her though until the next morning. That was hard too because I knew how hungry and thin she was. Her diet for the week in the hospital crate was plain yogurt, hardboiled egg, plain pedialyte, baby food (squash), applesauce and medicated baby chick food ( I figured it couldnt hurt.) I also put in some Probiotics that I purchased at the feed store. Everyday I would clean and treat the wound with Blue Kote.
For the Sour Crop I used Monostat. Cleared it up in a couple days. I continued treatment for a total of six days.

So the second surgery was this morning. She is resting now and I am praying she recovers as quickly as she did last time. BUT this is where I need advice...Shes had this twice now and I am worried it could happen again! What can I do differently to help prevent this in the future?

Thank you Backyard Chicken and all its members for all your help! I look forward to "talking chicken" and hearing what you all have to say!

Back
Top Bottom