Impacted crop won't go away!?!

GardenChickens

In the Brooder
May 9, 2015
My chicken has been inside for about 6 days because her sour-now impacted crop won't go away. she's been given antibiotic medicine which got rid of the sourness but every morning she still has a really hard clump in her crop! i haven't fed her any solid food and have given her oil regularly but it won't move. I can't make her throw it up either even after it has been softened. it seems like she just passes the water through but the clump won't move.she has lost a lot of weight now and is extremely depressed and now I don't know if i should let her out and hope it solves itself, it's just not moving, please help!

My chicken has been inside for about 6 days because her sour-now impacted crop won't go away. she's been given antibiotic medicine which got rid of the sourness but every morning she still has a really hard clump in her crop! i haven't fed her any solid food and have given her oil regularly but it won't move. I can't make her throw it up either even after it has been softened. it seems like she just passes the water through but the clump won't move.she has lost a lot of weight now and is extremely depressed and now I don't know if i should let her out and hope it solves itself, it's just not moving, please help!

Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

I'm sure you have tried this but have you tried massaging her crop in a slow motion. If you have given her oil to loosen things up this may help. Just rub and massage her crop. How are her bowel movements? If they are watery or oily I would not give more oil. Also, have you wormed her?

Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy
u

i've already taken her three times and he gave me antifungal medicine which got rid of the sourness, he doesn't know either...

Did they check her poop for worm eggs? Did they suggest tubing fluids to help break up the mass in her crop? If not, call them and ask about it. I suspect your hen has an obstruction somewhere between her crop and her vent that's not allowing the crop to empty. Many things could cause this... object(s) in gizzard, proventriculas or intestines, damage from worms, cancer, mass in repro tract, ascites, etc.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I'm sure you have tried this but have you tried massaging her crop in a slow motion. If you have given her oil to loosen things up this may help. Just rub and massage her crop. How are her bowel movements? If they are watery or oily I would not give more oil. Also, have you wormed her? 

yes i've tried massaging her but it hasn't helped...the vet did a stool test and no worms were found so that can't be the problem, i really don't know anymore

Did they check her poop for worm eggs? Did they suggest tubing fluids to help break up the mass in her crop? If not, call them and ask about it. I suspect your hen has an obstruction somewhere between her crop and her vent that's not allowing the crop to empty. Many things could cause this... object(s) in gizzard, proventriculas or intestines, damage from worms, cancer, mass in repro tract, ascites, etc.

-Kathy

yes they did a stool test and ni worms were found...tube feeding was suggested but i really am not so comfortable doing this because i have never done it before and I don't want to hurt her, is it necessary though because she is drinking a lot? is it okay to let her outside again because its been like a week and nothing is helping and she is really depressed and spends most of her day in a small container inside...?

Back
Top Bottom