Impacted crop?!

brandnewfarmer

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2015
I recently acquired 6 ducklings through a friend of a friend situation who wasn’t aware she couldn’t have them in the city so I didn’t have time to properly research what they needed for care. They are just starting to get they’re adult feathers. I know nothing about ducks and have been doing as much research as I can but obviously I’m doing something wrong! Day before yesterday, one of my ducklings came up with a large crop of what feels like water. It’s about the size of a extra large egg and very soft and squishy. Nothing else seems off. She is still pooping, eating, drinking, and seems generally healthy but this crop is huge! All my other ducks are fine. I tried researching and best I could come up with is sour crop but I can only find info for chickens not ducks. I tried removing her and withholding food and water for 24 hours but it’s still there. Smaller, but still there. I’m scared to try to induce vomiting like in chickens due to what I’ve read about doing that to ducks. I did learn that they need grit which I was unaware of but how do I help this little baby through this?!

Defiantly don't make her vomit. So after you with held the food and water for 24 hrs the crop was still full? I have a call out to some of the other educators since I haven't had to deal with this problem. Can you give some info what are you feeding do they constantly have access to water deep enough to dunk their heads into? Are you keeping them outside in a pen and coop? Can you post a picture? sometimes the crop will lok really full and big but it can also be normal especially when they have just pigged out. But for it to still be large in the morning is worrisome. Hopefully someone will be here soon to help. Have you done any massage to the area at all? Oh and what breed?

I’m feeding with brewers yeast added. Yes they have constant water, a small kiddie pool just deep enough to swim but can still stand up. Yes, outside in a temp penn/coop. Like I said, kinda got thrown into this so right now they are in a chain link dog kennel with chicken wire wrapped around it with a large plastic dog house. Better accommodations are coming this weekend. It’s high 70’s at night and mid 80’s during the day. She seems happy and healthy otherwise. I have massaged a little bit again, I was nervous to do much because I just don’t know if I’m going to hurt her more! I don’t know what breed she is. Maybe someone will know from this pic. It seems to be worse on this side vs the other side of her.

Attachments

• 69F3ECEA-AF6F-43DF-A94F-210240826D15.jpeg
    69F3ECEA-AF6F-43DF-A94F-210240826D15.jpeg
    612.2 KB · Views: 13
I’m feeding with brewers yeast added. Yes they have constant water, a small kiddie pool just deep enough to swim but can still stand up. Yes, outside in a temp penn/coop. Like I said, kinda got thrown into this so right now they are in a chain link dog kennel with chicken wire wrapped around it with a large plastic dog house. Better accommodations are coming this weekend. It’s high 70’s at night and mid 80’s during the day. She seems happy and healthy otherwise. I have massaged a little bit again, I was nervous to do much because I just don’t know if I’m going to hurt her more! I don’t know what breed she is. Maybe someone will know from this pic. It seems to be worse on this side vs the other side of her.
Black Swedish and it looks normal to me...

It should be that large and very squishy?! None of my other ducks look like this even right after they’ve eaten and I have two others of the same breed.
If it looks like that for more than 24 hours that is not normal. What does her poop look like? What are you feeding them?

Back
Top Bottom