Impacted crop?!

@brandnewfarmer, what is this stuff abound the eye?
duck eye discharge.png

Ducks don't actually have crops. Ducks have "rudimentary crops", but not true crops - their esophagus will expand to accommodate excess feed, but it's not a real crop. Food shouldn't sit it in for over 24 hours.

She also should be able to be finding her own grit since she's outside and able to find rocks etc. But adding grit won't hurt.

I'm hoping this isn't a case of her eating something she shouldn't have which has caused a blockage somewhere. If the problem persists, you might want to try giving her vegetable oil to try to move any blockage.

Ducks don't actually have crops. Ducks have "rudimentary crops", but not true crops - their esophagus will expand to accommodate excess feed, but it's not a real crop. Food shouldn't sit it in for over 24 hours.

She also should be able to be finding her own grit since she's outside and able to find rocks etc. But adding grit won't hurt.

I'm hoping this isn't a case of her eating something she shouldn't have which has caused a blockage somewhere. If the problem persists, you might want to try giving her vegetable oil to try to move any blockage.
She is in a pen. There’s sandy dirt but I don’t know if that’s enough. No rocks.

Sandy dirt should be fine. I agree if crop looks like that in the morning something isn’t right thanks for the pic she is lovely. And yes look for an All Flock Purina makes one and I believe Nutrina does too. What treats do you give? Maybe you can add some coconut oil in and she’ll eat it.grit isn’t expensive so buying a bag would be fine

I have a Buff who eats like a pig her crop area will be huge by evening but by morning is normal looking. When you get a chance look over their area for anything that maybe laying around they will pick up all sorts of things and eat when drilling around.

Back
Top Bottom