Impacted Crop?

Bantammomma

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2021
Hi! My sweet boy Ivar has a broken leg and after a week in a splint, we have been “rehabbing” for a few minutes a day. Today I noticed this golf-ball-sized lump essentially over the right side of his chest. Can this be an impacted crop? I’m a little thrown by its location but this baby is only about 7 or 8 weeks old.

Thankful for any advice!

Attachments

• 51D5BA7F-DC8D-485C-B776-40E03465570E.jpeg
    51D5BA7F-DC8D-485C-B776-40E03465570E.jpeg
    411.5 KB · Views: 10
That's where the crop is located, the right side of the chest. It can seem very prominent on chicks when they eat a lot. As long as he's behaving normally and pooping okay, and the crop goes down overnight, there's nothing to worry about.

To be on the safe side, make chick grit available. Try to keep treats to a very minimum and try to stick with just his regular feed.

Hi! My sweet boy Ivar has a broken leg and after a week in a splint, we have been “rehabbing” for a few minutes a day. Today I noticed this golf-ball-sized lump essentially over the right side of his chest. Can this be an impacted crop? I’m a little thrown by its location but this baby is only about 7 or 8 weeks old.

Thankful for any advice!

Impacted crop is when things not moving right ?
I suggest to hold for a while on food and give only water to make the passage clear .
It must be clear in 7-8 h if not moving try giving some live culture (3 living strain max ) they will help , also u can add molasses or honey to break down the food and ofcourse some tiny grit

Attachments

• IMG20210415080322.jpg
    IMG20210415080322.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 3
Impacted crop is when things not moving right ?
I suggest to hold for a while on food and give only water to make the passage clear .
It must be clear in 7-8 h if not moving try giving some live culture (3 living strain max ) they will help , also u can add molasses or honey to break down the food and ofcourse some tiny grit
Thank you!

That's where the crop is located, the right side of the chest. It can seem very prominent on chicks when they eat a lot. As long as he's behaving normally and pooping okay, and the crop goes down overnight, there's nothing to worry about.

To be on the safe side, make chick grit available. Try to keep treats to a very minimum and try to stick with just his regular feed.
Got it, thank you! It is noticeably smaller this morning. I will also make sure he has some grit. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom