Impacted Crop

micajordan23

Hatching
Mar 2, 2023
Hey hall, we’re first time chicken parents and our 2-3 week old chick keeps getting impacted crop. We did some research and made her fast for 24 hours, gave her some olive oil using a dropper and allowed her to swallow it. I spent like an hour massaging it and we separated her for the night and only let her have plain water. When we got home from work she looked better and has a soft bowel movement. We read that if after the 24 hours and her crop is flat that we could try scrambled eggs. She refused them…she’s been making a lot of noise so we put her back in with the rest of the hens (just 3 more hens other than her) and we noticed after a couple hours her crop was big and hard again….what can we do to prevent this from happening constantly and what is our next move?

Hey hall, we’re first time chicken parents and our 2-3 week old chick keeps getting impacted crop. We did some research and made her fast for 24 hours, gave her some olive oil using a dropper and allowed her to swallow it. I spent like an hour massaging it and we separated her for the night and only let her have plain water. When we got home from work she looked better and has a soft bowel movement. We read that if after the 24 hours and her crop is flat that we could try scrambled eggs. She refused them…she’s been making a lot of noise so we put her back in with the rest of the hens (just 3 more hens other than her) and we noticed after a couple hours her crop was big and hard again….what can we do to prevent this from happening constantly and what is our next move?
Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of your brooder setup?

Does she have light 24/7?
What do you feed?
Do you provide chick grit?
Photos of poop too please?

I'd work on her drinking and offer wet feed.
If you are using a heat lamp and the chicks are eating/drinking at all hours, then the crop is going to likely have something in it when you check.

Back
Top Bottom