Impatiently waiting for eggs

tuna

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
Hello All – I’m new to this forum and I’m in need of some help. I’m from Toronto, Canada, just like some of the northern states our daylight hours have shortened and the cold weather is not far off. So here is my dilemma: I have a small flock of hens (2) Rhode Island reds, (2) Plymouth rocks and (4) Rhode Island crosses. They are 20 weeks old go into their 21st weeks and no eggs… WHY? A bit of background: this is my first time raising chickens and its been fun. They are feed layer pellets and roam around the backyard daily for approximately 4 hours, the other time they are kept lock in the coop (8’ x 10’ and 6’ high). I have increased the amount of daylight to 14 hours by adding a light source in their roasting/sleep quarters (not sure what the proper terminology is). I have a couple of questions: should a light source also be added to the outside area where they roam during the day i.e. the enclosure. During the winter (which is quite harsh at times minus – 40C) should I keep a heat lamp all day long – I was thinking of rotating between a soft white for 14 hrs and then a red @ night. I will also be covering the coop with a clear plastic to keep the wind and snow out. But lastly why no eggs???? So have I done something wrong, are my ladies duds or is it me??

My RIRs tend to lay at 23-28 weeks. I have some RIR mutts that were about the same. Given the season, I'd expect closer to the 28 week mark than at 20.

The changes in weather can effect the laying time of the hens, I had some RIR crossed one time that were old enough to start laying during the cold weather but they were about 9 mos old before they finally started.

thanks for the heads up on these ladies... I guess I'll have to sit and wait
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom