Importance of water temperature?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ironcladlou, Jun 18, 2017.

1. ironcladlou

ironcladlou Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2017
    Morgantown, WV
    I've built a tube based watering system based on a design by Shuttergirl. The only significant difference is that I've placed the water tank inside the shed which is part of the coop; the original design places the water tank on a stand outside in the open air.

The shed has minimal ventilation, is shingled, and tends to get pretty hot inside relative to outdoor temperatures. I haven't yet attempted to measure the temperature of the water on a hot day to gauge how the ambient temperature of the shed affects the water sitting in the tank or lines.

Generally speaking, is there any temperature threshold I should be watching out for which would be cause for concern? Humans certainly wouldn't prefer warm water to drink, but obviously it's safe up to 130℉ or so. Given their lack of alternatives, I have no doubt the chickens will drink any available water, but I'm curious to know at what point it becomes uncomfortable or even unsafe for them.

Any advice would be welcome. As a first-time chicken owner, it's entirely possible I'm overthinking it. :)

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Hot water does not help cool off a hot body as good as cool water does!

NorthTexasWink likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Chickens prefer cool water but it really does not matter as long as its clean...:frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by