Important! Aviarian influenza (Bird Flu) prevention zone declared in England/Wales/Scotland due to outbreak

In the Netherlands there are restrictions all over the country. All hobby farmers have to protect their poultry against wild birds. Free ranging is not allowed.

For the Netherlands is really good info available onLevendeHave.nl

A map of wild birds and 3 farms with N5H8.: it shows that the flew is a threat at places with lots of wild ducks, geese and swans.

What happens if you don’t have somewhere big enough to lock them all up 24/7? Also with netting poop can still get through and you can’t really net a whole field. Small wild birds will still get in.
I really have no way of housing all of my birds without it being a welfare issue.
The last time it was after we’d done all the Xmas turkeys so used the big barn. Sadly many suffered terrible stress and some got ill. We’ve not culled the turkeys yet so what do I do? My breeding pens will only house a few.
The ducks would turn it into a mud bath very quickly and then I have no pen for breeding in spring.
I’m at a loss as to how I can keep all my birds safe. The field they range is big and would be impossible to net.

How many birds do you have? I guess you may be able to fence of a part of the field or adapt other outbuildings? Hoop coops get mentioned as a quick and cheap(ish) housing on here a lot.

The BHWT have an advice page which is obviously aimed at those of us with small flocks, but it does talk about acceptable housing and they say the the roof has to be solid so poop can't fall through (ie tarpaulin or roofing sheets).

This is the government guidance page, note that Swans have tested positive for avian flu in Devon (Dawlish) already. Defra has an interactive map and that shows Plymouth itself is right on the edge of a 3km controlled zone - not sure exactly where you are.

Sorry my post sounds so negative, I wish I could help more than point you at web sites :(

Back
Top Bottom