kandoos

Taking a Break
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
i want some information about black sex-link chickens <
of course about egg laying and meet and other things
please help

thanks

I have 2 now they lay good and 2 years ago I had 1 that sett and hatch chicks and was a good mom.. I still have some of her chicks that was pullets/hens...

I have some black stars and they are great- good layers and very smart and pretty. Yes, I'm a proud chicken mama. They aren't meat birds though. They are just good layers. They are on the large side; mine are about six lbs.

Katie

I have one hen, ordered from McMurray, who is 4 years old and still plump, glossy, & laying. The Black Sex-Link cockerels get good & meaty, not like a Cornish X, but still around 4 pounds at 20 weeks.

I made my own black stars to add a few good layerer to my flock. An added benefit: they are the best foragers of all the breeds I have. I've seen the oldest hen eat 3 snakes this year- and that's just what I've SEEN! They are attractive birds as well.
I have 3 roos that I am trying to rehome. One has decided that he wants to bunk with the hens instead of his brothers. Poor little guy is forced off the perches every night, but he isn't giving up!

I have one black sex-link hen, about a year old now. She's absolutely beautiful with a gorgeous golden breast so we named her goldie. She is very personable. She's bigger than my other hens although a couple months younger. I would love for her to "go broody," as they say. She's a great egg layer. Don't know about the meat part since I don't intend to eat her LOL!

When is the best time to stop gathering eggs -- in the hopes one will set on them? I live in WV and it gets warm here in April. If anyone can answer this, thank you!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I've never had a sex-link go broody. The hatchery stock they use to make them has bred most of that trait out. They are meant to be layers- really great layers, and that's it. You can incubate eggs or get yourself a cochin or silkie that would more likely be broody for you.
She will not breed true though- don't expect the chicks to look like mom(color wise).

Back
Top Bottom