Important Question

marvun22

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
North Dakota
could i let my chicken with an injured right leg sleep on her perch with her friends or should i keep her isolated. how can i treat the leg. all the info i can give is that it can stand on the leg, but if it lifts it up and then sets it down it curls up.

I would not let an injured hen sleep on the roost until the injury is "fixed". Can she walk on the affected leg? The symptom you describe is a tad vague.....more info please....:)

update on injured chicken. i kept her isolated for night. i gave her some yogurt. she is still isolated. she is now walking a lot better but still far from perfect. i was going to take her to the vet but the vet is 1 hour away. she is on a steady recovery pace so i decided not to take her there. a timeline for her. 9:00 a.m. 11-17-12 leg is terrible, 12:00 p.m. 11-17-12 can stand on the leg but nothing else, 3:00 p.m. 11-17-12 she has only moved a few steps, 5:00 p.m 11-17-12 has moved about 10 feet and i had to move her from my coop so my other chickens could sleep there, 8:00 a.m. 11-18-12 i moved her back to the coop and she is feasting on all the treats i used yesterday to try to get her to eat, 12:00 p.m. she is now moving around occasionally, i gave her yogurt, she is walking ok, but i can tell she still can't run. also i can tell she is getting better because she is now annoyed with me holding her. and she's also just making some normal noises.

Last edited:
she is getting normal. she jumped on our perch last night. and so far today i haven't been able to tell her apart from the rest.

Back
Top Bottom