Important question!!!

MattSiewrt

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 6, 2013
Hello, I have about 6 chickens including a rooster and there medium sized chickens anyway I'm getting chicks but I was gonna get it mixed flock kinda thing and I wanted to get a jersey giant when it grows up will it eat the medium sized ones??

I have 3 in my flock, the rest of my flock barley comes up to the top of their legs. They are really nice to the rest of my birds, they are 3rd, 4th and last on the pecking order. I have learned if you have a ladder roost like I do and they are lower on the pecking order you need to make sure you have enough clearance room for them to get on the lower levels or they will sleep on the floor. I had to re-vamp my roost because they were later additions and I had really small birds before them. They really don't pay mind to where they are on the pecking order as I have never seen them even sort it out like my original flock did.

Gotcha thanks everyone and how many chikens you think can fit In a 7 foot wide and 17 foot long barn?

That depends on a lot of factors, but the standard is 1 square foot for small to avg and 2 square foot for big. I have 12 in a 4'X4' coop, it's small for the standard. My coop gets along well, has a ladder roost that fits everyone with extra room, feed/water is mounted flat to the wall to save space, and they free range. In fact, the only time they are all in there at once is to sleep. You need to look at the time they are spending in there, if its full time than you need 4 square feet at least per bird and be prepared for boredom problems. How much space is taken up by your feed, water, and roost. How does your group get along. Like I said, depends on many factors.

Edited because I hit send instead of spell check.LOL

Last edited:
Mhmm we'll I let my chickens out about 4 times a day and they roams whole yard I would just leave them out all day but I have outside dog and wild cats in some of our barns so I have to watch them and my roost doesn't take much room at all its it stick fence that fits all the way in the back and a 5 box nesting box that 1 foot long and 5 foot wide, and the hangs on the front wall of the coop and my feeder just hangs in the middle some of them I will probably end up using for meat and they get along fine but when I introduce new chickens that's when they get mean but I know they do that for dominance

Most people on this site recommend 4sq ft per chicken in the coop and 10sq ft per chicken in the chicken run, if using one. If your barn is the coop then you're looking at no more than 30 birds. It's best to give them as much space as possible though for their happiness and health.

Okay gotcha sorry about all this lol it's just a three side barn 7 foot wide and 17 feet long lol idk my limit is 20 birds I feel like

Most people on this site recommend 4sq ft per chicken in the coop and 10sq ft per chicken in the chicken run, if using one. If your barn is the coop then you're looking at no more than 30 birds. It's best to give them as much space as possible though for their happiness and health.

I agree since you will have them in there for some awake time. They need a lot of space if they have to be in there for anything other than roosting. If you go anything over 30 you can expect feather picking and bulling due to cramped conditions and boredom even from the nicest flock.

Back
Top Bottom