Impostor in my flock of BR pullets???? 13 wks old

my3bratz2008

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 2, 2009
Wurtsboro
I heard a noise coming from the bushes, that sounded like a "brahh" noise, then my other roos responded to it....too my suprise out pops a BR that does have a bigger comb and stuff unlike "her" sisters. They are all colored and barred the same...should I be concerned that one of the girls is really a boy??? It wouldn't be a bad thing.
#1 is the "girl" in question
38230_img_9838.jpg

#2 thru 6 are the other girls (hopefully)
38230_img_9839.jpg

38230_img_9840.jpg

38230_img_9841.jpg

38230_img_9842.jpg

38230_img_9843.jpg

When "he/she" started to make that noise, my brahma roo started crowing and then imitating the noise and so did my jap roo...that's what freaked me out, because they made the same noise it did. They are all supposed to be pullets. When I looked up the difference between male and female, they said males are lighter in color and have bigger white bars.... they all have the same dark coloring and same width bars... maybe this one is older than the others as they were not all equal in size when we got them. So curious now!!

How old are they? I have 17 week old BRs with various comb ranges from small pink to large red. Some of their combs have really grown in the past 2 weeks (and started to flop over) which is an indicator that they will be laying soon.

Oops, sorry. Just saw the header again. It is a bit big at 13 weeks, but I'm not sure it's a roo. Time will tell for sure.
Is there any way you can post a full body shot?

Last edited:
I am new to this- but she looks like a HE! The comb and wattles are so much more red than the other pictures of the girls.... I would say- roo.... I have 3 BRs and they are just the sweetest things! I bet this roo will be really beautiful!

wow, seems everyone is on either side of the fence with this bird....I will see if I can get a body shot, as they never like to cooperate. But thanks for everyone's input, deep down i am kind of hoping it is a boy, so I can breed them. Also, at what age do BR's start laying so I can mark the calendar???

Last edited:
Oh, and Maude is a talker. She matured faster than my other girls and has been laying since she was 18 weeks. She bagawks and talks and makes all sorts of noise.

A.T. Hagan :

The first photo is a cockerel. A little darker than usual, but definitely a cockerel. The rest are pullets.

x2 The males are normally a little lighter in color in barred rocks. They are a bit of a lighter grey while the hens are darker. That is what confuses me!
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom