Jun 3, 2021
So I have a bit of an adorable problem. We got 5 Campbell ducklings because I love the 3 adults we have now, and I believe one imprinted on me! They were about 2 days or so old when I brought them home a few days ago. At first I had them in a brooder with my chicks temporarily (just for the night) but today I finally was able to set up their brooder and moved them, since last year we actually lost some chicks because of the ducklings soaking the brooder with their water antics. They all moved fine except one! The little guy (idk the gender lol) won't stop cheeping unless I'm holding him! He was very friendly before but now he seems genuinely distressed in the brooder. I tried moving him back with the chicks but that didn't change anything. He has clean water and food, and it's definitely warm enough in there. But unless my hand is in the brooder or he's being held he's just screaming. I literally can't even sleep, he's so loud and it's way to cold for the outdoor brooder! Any recommendations? I'm flattered but I need rest too lol!

So I have a bit of an adorable problem. We got 5 Campbell ducklings because I love the 3 adults we have now, and I believe one imprinted on me! They were about 2 days or so old when I brought them home a few days ago. At first I had them in a brooder with my chicks temporarily (just for the night) but today I finally was able to set up their brooder and moved them, since last year we actually lost some chicks because of the ducklings soaking the brooder with their water antics. They all moved fine except one! The little guy (idk the gender lol) won't stop cheeping unless I'm holding him! He was very friendly before but now he seems genuinely distressed in the brooder. I tried moving him back with the chicks but that didn't change anything. He has clean water and food, and it's definitely warm enough in there. But unless my hand is in the brooder or he's being held he's just screaming. I literally can't even sleep, he's so loud and it's way to cold for the outdoor brooder! Any recommendations? I'm flattered but I need rest too lol!
A little bit of tough love, he has other ducklings so he will be okay, dont pick him up too much, and he'll eventually calm.

Both of mine imprinted on me, the first especially, as she hatched 4 days before her sister. Both are almost 3 months now, and are very friendly ducks.
She would peep for me, and I absolutely mothered her, I spent pretty much every minute with her until her sibling hatched, then began to distance myself and she adjusted just fine.
At night, I didnt have much of a problem- at first she would peep, but I would sing and she would start to sleep- it would calm them without being able to see me- perhaps a radio or playing some music quietly would achieve the same- then I'd turn the light off and after a couple days of practice, she'd be silent all night.
I was pretty lucky to have them be so easy to calm!
Ultimately, they are babies and they don't know better, it can be hard for them. But if you're having issues because he is so dependant, it would be best to use some tough love, leave him be, let him become more independant. He'll adapt quite quickly!
Good luck with your ducklings

As long as he has other ducklings he will get the idea he's a duck and not a human don't indulge him. It will take a day or two but he will decide you are an axe murderer. Don't be dissappointed. I always am.
I'll try not to be disappointed, I'll definitely try my best to leave him be and figure it out on his own. It's hard to resist those cute little peeps though

A little bit of tough love, he has other ducklings so he will be okay, dont pick him up too much, and he'll eventually calm.

Both of mine imprinted on me, the first especially, as she hatched 4 days before her sister. Both are almost 3 months now, and are very friendly ducks.
She would peep for me, and I absolutely mothered her, I spent pretty much every minute with her until her sibling hatched, then began to distance myself and she adjusted just fine.
At night, I didnt have much of a problem- at first she would peep, but I would sing and she would start to sleep- it would calm them without being able to see me- perhaps a radio or playing some music quietly would achieve the same- then I'd turn the light off and after a couple days of practice, she'd be silent all night.
I was pretty lucky to have them be so easy to calm!
Ultimately, they are babies and they don't know better, it can be hard for them. But if you're having issues because he is so dependant, it would be best to use some tough love, leave him be, let him become more independant. He'll adapt quite quickly!
Good luck with your ducklings
Thank you! I'll do my best to not coddle him, it's so hard to resist the cute little guy but I can be strong lol! Hopefully he'll start cuddling with his siblings soon, my other ducks (now adults) all think they're chickens so I guess ducks just get mixed up a lot haha

Back
Top Bottom