Improving circulation in large combed roo?

Everose

ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴄʀᴇᴀᴛɪᴏɴ, ʙᴏᴛʜ ʜᴀᴜɴᴛᴇᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴏʟʏ.
Premium Feather Member
Jan 16, 2021
The Great Country of Texas
My rooster has a purple comb every morning, only recently with our slightly chilly nights has this happened. I'm not worried about him, his comb goes from purple to Rosy red in no time. I know it's a circulatory thing and was just wondering if you guys would know of a way to improve circulation in his comb? It's really bugging a certain family member of mine😂

Thanks in advance!

Eve

My 1.5 year old roo gets purple-ish areas at the back of his comb, sometimes along the top/points. This comes and goes. It doesn't seem to have any affect on him. I'm wondering if I'll find him dead of a heart attack some day?

My 1.5 year old roo gets purple-ish areas at the back of his comb, sometimes along the top/points. This comes and goes. It doesn't seem to have any affect on him. I'm wondering if I'll find him dead of a heart attack some day?
All of my roos have gotten this. I don't think you should be concerned, unless it turns purple completely it usually isn't an issue. My roo will turn purplish if he's super excited or upset.

When the weather gets cold their combs may turn purple because their blood is elsewhere. I'm going to try to get circulation going in his comb so that he doesn't get frostbite. It doesn't even have to be freezing for them to get frostbite.

All of my roos have gotten this. I don't think you should be concerned, unless it turns purple completely it usually isn't an issue. My roo will turn purplish if he's super excited or upset.

When the weather gets cold their combs may turn purple because their blood is elsewhere. I'm going to try to get circulation going in his comb so that he doesn't get frostbite. It doesn't even have to be freezing for them to get frostbite.
I was searching circulatory issues before starting a new thread and saw this one. wondering about updates on your birds?

I have a 2.5 yr old laying hen who is very lethargic, has battled bouts of that on and off the last year. Every few months she spends 2-3 days like she might die any minute, she recovers, in a few months it happens again.

Now her comb is unusually dark red/purple and lethargic. Makes me wonder if it is a heart/stroke issue. But 2 days later and she is still alive, still eating. My other 5 hens are just fine. At this point I don't know what to do for her. She is well taken care of, well fed etc.

Back
Top Bottom