Improving the Color and Taste of Your Eggs

Something I did not realize when I first started getting eggs from my Delightful Dozen was that the size really matters to some who will be using eggs in recipes.

I now use a scale and sell only eggs 2.0 and larger so I know the eggs are Large to Xtra Large. My hens will reach a year old in late March, but as pullet layers the eggs were all pretty small. It make a difference in recipes based on Large egg sizes.

Shell - harder to crack - yep. Dull color in the yolk - I have never had that issue but mine are outside from sun up to sun down with Layer pellet available and all the sun and greens and bugs they can find.

Buckeyelady,

I give them layer feed and scratch is their snack along with the greens etc. I had to taper off their snacks because they stopped eating their feed and would literally wait for me to come feed them the snacks while their feed sat there. Now I give them very small amounts of the treats, though I have given them bowls of cream of wheat mixed with squash or carrots or mash, I'm trying to give them mash mostly, so that they are eating their feed and not getting spoiled.

Hennysmom, I call it Chicken Football. Thanks I have blueberries up in the freezer right now. I didn't even think to give them that. When my garden was done and I still had tons of cherry tomatoes, I would give it to them and they lOVED it. I have a chicken bowl where we scrape our leftovers into or if I have a sandwich while eating out, I will pick out the tomatoes/lettuce and save it to add to their chicken bowl-lol. But anyway, let me give them those blueberries.

Last edited:
I think you are taking it too hard on yourself.Someone not use to fresh eggs may not appreciate them like someone who won't eat store bought eggs.It was probably the freshest egg she had ever ate.People tend to get use to something and think that's the standered to go by.She has probably always had caged layer eggs.I guess you can kinda just chuckle,there's plenty of others who will buy yours. Will
p.s. I think feeding wheat gives you a richer golden yolk(not the yellow you see in stores)but freeranging would make a considerable difference.But remember the majority of people are not use to this.Sad for them isn't it?

Quote:
I wouldn't take much of her (or anyone's) opinion too hard. Picky people are going to be picky people. She's obviously wanting something different-- whether it's dozens of double yolkers--- or free eggs since she complained... Or something else unreasonable. I can understand if she received cracked eggs, old eggs, or developing chicks-- but hard shells (heaven forbid they're getting all the calcium they need!) and tasteless eggs? I'd cross her off your list, let her know you're fresh out if she calls!

I personally wouldn't respond to her, but I wouldn't have asked for a critique either. IF you feel she deserves a response, let her know that shells vary by breed and diet-- and that well cared for hens lay hard eggs-- a good sign their systems aren't being depleted of calcium. If she's not happy with size, let her know that "real" hens lay different sized eggs on different days and during different times in their laying cycle ( and so do the commercial hens-- they just don't make it to the store shelves), and as far as color-- let her know you'll have a talk with the hens, but the rest is up to them!
D.gif

Quote:
My sister-in-law doesn't like "fresh eggs" as she calls them. I raise chickens and so does her father. But he didn't start until after he retired and she was raised on store eggs.

My chickens free range and I notice that they taste stronger then store eggs. But I grew up with chickens so I don't mind. My tomatoes taste better also and my corn is sweeter and I love my own pickles. I think it is what you get used to.

I think that healthy chickens lay strong hard shells. Our meany rooster scared the little girl and she dropped the egg she was holding on the concrete barn floor (she is only 3 ft tall) and it didn't bust. Weak eggs get broken in the nest and who wants that.

Actually, I do find my eggs' shells to be hard to crack. A store-bought egg will crack in a nice line around the middle but my eggs tend to shatter more, so that instead of cracking them straight into a running mixer as I used to, I have to crack them into a separate bowl and then make sure there are no shell fragments before adding the eggs to the mixer. Our hens have free-choice oyster shell and good-quality feed (Layena) as well as a Flock Block supplement so I know they're getting enough calcium.

I also notice a taste difference between certain brands of feed. I like the Layena the best. It might be because there are no animal by-products in it. I don't like Dumor feed.

We also weigh eggs and only sell cartons that average large eggs, which is usually a mix of larges, X-larges, and mediums. By law in Ohio, we label the eggs "mixed size." Small eggs we sell separately, and cheaper. I warn people who buy smalls that they won't bake the same and they might need to use 3 small eggs to equal 2 large eggs.

Other than that, don't take it personally if one customer doesn't come back. That will happen in any business. Get GOOD customers, and be VERY nice to them so they'll tell their friends. Let unappreciative customers go.

chloraphyll is what makes the egg yolks nice and orange, grass is good for them, my chicken free range plus get layer and scratch, plus what ever i throw outside to them from the kitchen;) my eggs go like hotcakes at the hospital where i work $2 a doz

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my yolks:

This is a picture of the way it used to be:

OurFirstEGGINPANCAKES.jpg

And this is the way it looks now:

HPIM3630.jpg

Back
Top Bottom