In a tight spot. Need advice. Neighbors dog has killed 3 of my hens. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea since eggs & chicken is all he ever eats. 2 eggs every morning.

I'd take a needle and inject them with ipecac.
But I'm mean.

Edited to add - the man can hate chickens if he wants, what brings out the mean in me is gloating over the death of an animal, especially with a traumatized child in the mix. That is flat uncalled for, regardless of circumstance.

All this was not mentioned in your post that led me to put down where from my point of view the responsibility for the safety of your chickens lie.
It was not you asking for help, but the way you were pinning the responsibility for your chickens on the neighbours that were nice enough to help you out letting you set up your chickens on their grounds.

Obviously your situations is a very stressful one with your father behaving the way he does, seemingly even enjoying the trouble, which is beyond me. But it is not the neighbours fault that your father will not have your chickens in his yard.

Maybe just move back to your own house and take your chickens with you, so your son will be comfortable and your chickens out of danger.
Sometimes there is no other way to regain peace of mind for everyone involved in such a jumble.
We lost our house thanks to COVID 19. I can’t go back there. I’m stuck. We can’t afford to move out. If he didn’t take us in (husband, 6 year old autistic son, & myself) then we’d be out on the street.

All this was not mentioned in your post that led me to put down where from my point of view the responsibility for the safety of your chickens lie.
It was not you asking for help, but the way you were pinning the responsibility for your chickens on the neighbours that were nice enough to help you out letting you set up your chickens on their grounds.

Obviously your situations is a very stressful one with your father behaving the way he does, seemingly even enjoying the trouble, which is beyond me. But it is not the neighbours fault that your father will not have your chickens in his yard.

Maybe just move back to your own house and take your chickens with you, so your son will be comfortable and your chickens out of danger.
Sometimes there is no other way to regain peace of mind for everyone involved in such a jumble.
Never mind. How can I ask to have this post removed.

O dear, I am very sorry! :hugs
Maybe your father would agree to only two pet hens for your son at the very end of his property and out of his sight? Just so his grandson can have something to take his mind of all the anxiety that this new situation is causing?

We lost our house thanks to COVID 19. I can’t go back there. I’m stuck. We can’t afford to move out. If he didn’t take us in (husband, 6 year old autistic son, & myself) then we’d be out on the street.
I had a feeling it was something like that.
Tough situation, hang in there.

Never mind. How can I ask to have this post removed.
Click on the 'report' icon in lower left of the first post in the thread and ask a moderator to delete the thread.

Can you het a dog crate or other dog proof cage, and chicken proof it?
We have a dog. He’s been trained to be good to the chickens. We started with 10 chickens. The same neighbors got 9 more chicks & just placed them in with the adults 3 months after we got them set up without us knowing. I then had to take care of the chicks. I now have 17 chickens. To big for a dog kennel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom