In Hurricane Sandy's Path? What are YOU doing to prepare?

Bulldogma

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 29, 2012
SW Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Batten down the hatches... "Frankenstorm" is going to be moving up the East Coast and nobody knows exactly what will happen or who will get hit the hardest.

While my own area is fairly safe, we will be going from a week in the 80's to a possible snow storm, so I'll be doing a bit of winterizing. I've also got a bunch of building materials (from a coop destroyed in a June wind storm) sitting outside that could pose a danger if we get high winds. I'll be moving a bunch of that stuff to a safer location and checking around for anything else that could get blown away.

I'll also fill up as many containers as possible with water because if we lose electricity, we won't have water (well pump).

If you're in Hurricane Sandy's projected path, what will you be doing to get prepared?
If you're an old timer who has seen a storm or two, what suggestions would you pass along to the rest of us?

I'm pretty much ON the coast. We just bought a generator, we're getting more gas for it, Stacking firewood near the door, getting large storage bins in case the coop goes down (put the chickens in the bins), tying down the coops with stakes, putting extra ice in the freezer to keep everything frozen in case of a power outage, taking down our greenhouse, and scouring the yard for things that'll blow away. Oh and bringing my little Ryukin pond goldfish in. We'll get tons of rain apparently, and I don't want my fish to swim away.
big_smile.png

Looks like Sandy will be knocking at my door. We're in a densely wooded area and large trees surround our home. Hubby wants the kids and I to go to a motel. Say's it will be easier on him if we go and it's much easier to keep one person safe than to keep four away from falling trees. We've been here 25+ years and have been through several hurricanes and even tornado's and have had minimal damage. We did lose 10 mature trees to Isabel and have had a few on the house. Guess he's concerned that we'll lose more or will take a direct hit.

We're prepared for everything else. We have generator, stored water, wood stove, camping gear, battery and kerosene lamps, stock pile of food. It's the trees we have no control over. Hate to leave him here alone, though. Not sure what to do. Guess we'll just wait and watch where she's coming in before we decide.

Sigh . . .
hmm.png

Looks like Sandy will be knocking at my door. We're in a densely wooded area and large trees surround our home. Hubby wants the kids and I to go to a motel. Say's it will be easier on him if we go and it's much easier to keep one person safe than to keep four away from falling trees. We've been here 25+ years and have been through several hurricanes and even tornado's and have had minimal damage. We did lose 10 mature trees to Isabel and have had a few on the house. Guess he's concerned that we'll lose more or will take a direct hit.

We're prepared for everything else. We have generator, stored water, wood stove, camping gear, battery and kerosene lamps, stock pile of food. It's the trees we have no control over. Hate to leave him here alone, though. Not sure what to do. Guess we'll just wait and watch where she's coming in before we decide.

Sigh . . .
hmm.png

mtnlaurl -
Is there anything you need to do to storm-proof your coop? The coop on the property we're currently living on fell victim to a falling tree in a wind storm. We don't have our current coops under (or near) any trees. If your coop is under trees, will you be putting your chickens somewhere else, like in a garage or off your property?

On storm-proofing the coop - we're going to try to bring it closer to the house. It's a large chicken tractor but we truly sit in the middle of the woods and trees are absolutely everywhere. If we can get it next to the house, that will give the coop a measure of protection. Our plan was to move it there before winter hit but this hurricane got here a bit earlier than we were planning.

So sorry about your coop and the tree. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Fingers crossed!

We will probably get a bunch of wind and rain. Our biggest concern will be whether the netting becomes a sail with the wind and the anticipated 1' of rain causing flooding. We lost some trees and bushes to Isabel but our coop and house were fine. I'll pick up all the outside feeders and waterers & put them away until the worst of the storm passes through. I thought about letting the chickens free range the yard during the storm - but they won't want to be out and about in that mess and that will increase their chances of getting injury. At least in the coop they have shelter from the wind/rain and a fairly sturdy place to be safe.

Last edited:

We will probably get a bunch of wind and rain. Our biggest concern will be weather the netting becomes a sail with the wind and the anticipated 1' of rain causing flooding. We lost some trees and bushes to Isabel but our coop and house was fine. I'' pick up all the outside feeders and waterers & put them away while the worst of the storm to passes through. I thought about letting the chickens free range the yard during the storm - but they won't want to be out and about in that mess and that will increase their chances of getting injury. At least in the coop they have shelter from the wind/rain and a fairly sturdy place to be safe.

With the chance of high winds, leaving them in the coop during the storm is a wise choice! Any objects picked up by the wind could spell disaster for a loose chicken.

My biggest concern is how wet it will be here4 in NW Connecticut. My chickens live in a coop/tractor with no floor other than hardware cloth. It can get pretty wet in there and I'm worried about their feet!

My biggest concern is how wet it will be here4 in NW Connecticut. My chickens live in a coop/tractor with no floor other than hardware cloth. It can get pretty wet in there and I'm worried about their feet!

Could you put some roosting poles in there for them? I just use tree branches, but I have a lot of them so the birds can get up and have different areas to go to. Even a few inches off the ground should keep them from sitting in the water.

I assume the tractor will be on your highest ground during the storm? Might not hurt to put the chickens in a cage or dog crate in your garage (if you have one) during the worst part of the weather. Just a few weeks ago I heard of someone losing chickens in a heavy downpour because the water got unexpectedly high and the chickens were trapped low to the ground :(

Hurricane Sandy is going to hit my location hard. I have many trees around my coop, i suppose i'll have to take my chickens in the garage. Is this correct? Or will they be safe in the coop

Back
Top Bottom