In Lockdown Need Advise Fast! Hovabator 1588

bockchickas

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2015
If you use a Genesis 1588 HovaBator, do you find the temperature and humidity shown on the machine to be accurate? The one I'm using shows a HUGE difference from my hygrometer/thermometer. The temperature is also 2-3 degrees cooler on the floor of the incubator than it is at the top of the incubator where the fan is. Which reading do I go with? It seems like the incubator uses the temperature at the top of the unit.

Been using 2 low-quality incubators, and having all kinds of trouble keeping temp. and humidity constant. The Hova-Bator seems to keep the humidity the most constant, so I'm planning to use it for lockdown...But now I don't know if the temperature is correct! Been erring on the side of keeping it lower so I don't cook the chicks, but OMG...Now I'm so frustrated I want to cry and have only 4 possible viable eggs out of 3 dozen!!! Granted they are shipped eggs, but I'm scared it's gonna be a big fat ZERO hatch. :(

Please help!

Do I use the temperature reading on my hygrometer that is sitting on the floor of the machine where the eggs are, or go with the reading I get if I put the hygrometer up where the fan is?

BIG THANKS!

Incubator instructions say to put the thermometer on top of the eggs, which I do not do because my digital thermometer/hygrometer is too heavy. I put in on top of the egg turning tray where some of the eggs would be. When the egg tray is flat the temp reading is 99F, when elevated 100.4-100.6F. My incubator is a Little Giant still air with the coil that goes around the perimeter. I have successful hatches measuring the temp. this way. Also, the room your incubator is in has to have a steady temperature or you will have fluctuations in your incubator too great for the chicks to develop properly.

Last edited:
Room temp. is a stable 70 degrees. The thermometer/hygrometer I have is a little rectangle, and can't go on top of the eggs, so it sits on the wire floor with them, or there is a place on the lid I can set it. That's how I know the temp is so off. If I'm going with the reading down where my eggs are, the temp. is at least 2 degrees cooler and the humidity is ten degrees higher. :(

Room temp. is a stable 70 degrees. The thermometer/hygrometer I have is a little rectangle, and can't go on top of the eggs, so it sits on the wire floor with them, or there is a place on the lid I can set it. That's how I know the temp is so off. If I'm going with the reading down where my eggs are, the temp. is at least 2 degrees cooler and the humidity is ten degrees higher. :(
You have a fan forced incubator (which is supposed to be more even throughout the incubator) and the temps are supposed to be able to be taken anywhere. With that being said I have the LG 9200 but with the fan kit installed. My thermometers sit on the floor with my eggs. As long as the temp in my bator stays between 99 and 101 I am happy. If it starts creeping toward 102 or lower then 99, I get worried and adjust. At hatch time many people adjust down a degree and the chicks are producing body heat of their own so you have a little leway.

Back
Top Bottom