1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

In Mass with hurricane Sandy!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LMathews, Oct 29, 2012.

1. LMathews

LMathews New Egg

Jun 11, 2012
    Help! My coop is secure but I thought for sure the chickens would go up to their coop instead of staying in the screened porched area? Should I put them in the coop? They are all soaked!

2. rufflemyfeather

rufflemyfeather Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    Lewisberry, PA
    ive closed mine up! too windy and wet for my babies..

3. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    I've closed mine up, too. Safer that way.

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Puting them away would be a good Idea!

5. LMathews

LMathews New Egg

Jun 11, 2012
    Did that at about 2:30 p.m.! It's a little crowded in there with food and water, but at least they are out of the elements! Thanks to all who commented!

6. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Mine put themselves into the coop I shut the big window and left the pop door into the closed run open - their food and water is in the run (covered). They did just fine. I gave them treats today and did the same tonight since we are experiencing heavy rain and thunder.

7. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    Dunstable, MA
    I had to put mine in the henhouse yesterday around 4pm when it started getting bad here in MA. I wasn't so much afraid of them getting wet, but all of the debris that started flying around. I was also a bit concerned about the pine trees that were doing a lot of swaying. I thought for certain we'd lose a tree or two. I let them back out this morning and they seemed a bit dazed. I think Sandy had them a bit freaked out! After a few minutes though they were back to their usual happy selves. [​IMG]
    I hope everyone's flocks and other beasties made it through the storm without loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by