In memoriam - Marigold, ISA Brown, Jan 2007 - Sept 2008

patandchickens

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I had to put down my favorite hen this morning
sad.png

Marigold was one of the three original laying-age pullets I bought from the feed store last year. All three were wonderful friendly funny chickens, but I liked her best - even though she was the weirdest-looking, with her butt twisted to the side and some weird tail feathers and not entirely henlike hackles. (She's the rearmost one in the photo on my personal page). She was the best layer too, but I just liked her personality a whole lot.

She'd been having problems (of an internal laying - salpingitis sort) for some while, lately, but yesterday she was suddenly quite blown up and penguinlike, and quite unhappy. She was even more miserable this morning - she wanted to get out of the nest box, where she'd apparently spent the night, but was unable, and she just gave up and sat there with her head in the darkest corner. Since it was pretty clear what her problem was, and it isn't really a fixable or treatable thing, and she was suffering, I talked to her for a while and told her what a good chicken she is and then took her across the driveway to The Stump
sad.png

She's buried at the top of the back hill now, under a honeysuckle bush, next to her sister Matilda who died of basically the same thing almost a year ago. (No more ISA Browns for me).

Now Maryanne is the only one left of the original three. We've moved her tractor over next to the "blonde chickens" run, so they can study each other thru the fence for the next week or so, and then I will try putting Maryanne in with them (a campine and two chantecler pullets, and a very henpecked and immature chantecler cockerel) and hope they can work something out.

So, goodbye to Marigold. She was a really good chicken, the best, and will be very much missed
sad.png

Pat

Last edited:
I sure feel for you. I had to put down my favorite girl a few months back and it was so difficult. I'm so sorry. You did the right thing though.
hugs.gif

Oh, Pat, I'm so sad for you today. I've been there and I hate it. You did the right thing. I've lost three of my original hens to salpingitis and it's not pleasant to watch them just waste away. My husband was so reluctant to let the last one, Ruby, go. I wanted to put her out of her misery sooner, but she was our head hen, our "feathered pitbull", we called her, and she made alot of my hubby. She was a tough broad and it wasn't right to just let her slowly waste to nothing. RIP, Marigold.
In memory of Ruby, Lorelei & Lacy, too. :aww

Pat, I'm so sorry. It's even harder when it's a special, friendly buddy.
sad.png
Hope something REALLY good happens to you soon to help balance things out a bit.

Back
Top Bottom