In my arms you'll be safe from the cold

Clucking_Caramel

Songster
Apr 2, 2018
Some background info: I have a special needs chicken with malformed legs. Her flock hates her and must live inside.

Yesterday I blindly stared at the wall in the bathroom. It had a nice stick on tree plastered to it. I leave and turn towards my room. I open the door and enter. Upon seeing my little bird on the florr I picked her up and craddled her. I sang all the choir songs I could remember at that point. Her small body rising and falling with her breath. No matter what the others say I will not put you down. Some say I won't have enough time in my life, but that is ok because you are my life. You are my baby bird.

You are perfect.

Keep her as a house chicken - safe from the flock. How old is she? Probably soon after birth her legs could have been helped with splinting or hobbles, or little bandai shoes, depending on what correction is needed.

Please post photos of her legs here and at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread - they may be able to suggest how best to help her. If she isn't in pain and suffering there is no need to put her down.

There are many special need chickens out there. And oddly, though quickly euthanized in the agricultural world, chickens are used in creating artificial limbs in the research world. Spoil your baby as long as you can. Learn as much as you can about your chick's particular challenge, and make her world better for as long as she is comfortable. And when her time comes, and it will as it does for all living creatures-even normal ones, take heart that you did your best for her.

Keep her as a house chicken - safe from the flock. How old is she? Probably soon after birth her legs could have been helped with splinting or hobbles, or little bandai shoes, depending on what correction is needed.

Please post photos of her legs here and at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread - they may be able to suggest how best to help her. If she isn't in pain and suffering there is no need to put her down.
We did splint her and that was my second post here. :)

So lovely, the love from that post just pours out.
You are so right though, aslong as they aren't in pain.
We had a disabled dog for 4 years, we adopted him that way to give him a chance. The amount of people who thought he had been ran over or whatever but no he was born like that. Sadly he had a heart attack two weeks ago but I feel happy knowing that I didn't just end his life for him because he was different. Good luck x

So lovely, the love from that post just pours out.
You are so right though, aslong as they aren't in pain.
We had a disabled dog for 4 years, we adopted him that way to give him a chance. The amount of people who thought he had been ran over or whatever but no he was born like that. Sadly he had a heart attack two weeks ago but I feel happy knowing that I didn't just end his life for him because he was different. Good luck x

Aww sorry to hear that! You are right, he had an amazing life compared to what he wouldn't have had if you didn't show up!

Some background info: I have a special needs chicken with malformed legs. Her flock hates her and must live inside.

Yesterday I blindly stared at the wall in the bathroom. It had a nice stick on tree plastered to it. I leave and turn towards my room. I open the door and enter. Upon seeing my little bird on the florr I picked her up and craddled her. I sang all the choir songs I could remember at that point. Her small body rising and falling with her breath. No matter what the others say I will not put you down. Some say I won't have enough time in my life, but that is ok because you are my life. You are my baby bird.

You are perfect.
That’s sweet praying for you both

Back
Top Bottom