In my box, they move to one corner?

lundgrenj

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
My chick box has a 250 watt light aiming into a corner, positioned out of the box by 4 inches... in another corner food, in another water.. and the other corner the chicks seem to prefer to sleep.

Its arranged like this:

Light Pointed ------- Chicks Huddle
| |
| |
Food Dish ------- Water Dish

Can I assume that its too warm if they huddle away from the light?

(Clearly they cannot huddle all by the food or water).

(Its indoors now, so 250 watt in a cardboard box corner in 70 degree indoor)

(6 Chicks 1.5 x 2.5 ft box)

Last edited:
I have a 60 watt bulb in my box. It is just a cardboard box they are in for now. For the past three days I have been letting them go outside now during the day (in the 60's here) for dirt baths and just to have more room than their box. Mine are 9 days old today, RIR's. Yesterday they stayed out all day and came in about 6-7pm, they have no light bulb when they are outside, just the warm air.

If you have or can get an inexpensive thermometer, set it under the bulb, right on the litter. That will let you know without question if the temp is right. I picked up a two-pack with a stick thermometer and a dial type at Wal-Mart, and keep one under the light and the other in the far corner. Works really well-no guessing.

I agree with everyone else. Its way too hot. They are really good at letting you know when something isn't right. Just grab a bulb out of your cabinet and try that. I bet it'll fix things for you.

Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom