In need of insight on my geese killing my duck.

There is a gander at our park lake that thinks ducks are small geese and every time there are new ones, especially large ones like mixed breeds or Pekins, he has to check them out. He was even caught mating with one of the ducks, injuring her because he was so big. Is your goose a gander? Perhaps he thought the duck was his mate and tried to mate her.

Very sorry for your loss.

My friend has embdens and they recently started having pre-breeding season territorial aggression issues. While my friend had kept his huge 55lb white turkey with the embdens for the past 6 months with no problems, a few days ago the main gander attacked the turkey, dragged him to the pond, and drowned him. It was horrible.

I am sorry but this actually makes my heart hurt. I seriously am keeping the geese in their huge pen by themselves and they will free range by themselves I can not risk them killing anyone else. I want turkeys too :(

There is a gander at our park lake that thinks ducks are small geese and every time there are new ones, especially large ones like mixed breeds or Pekins, he has to check them out. He was even caught mating with one of the ducks, injuring her because he was so big. Is your goose a gander? Perhaps he thought the duck was his mate and tried to mate her.

I really think it was hormones to be honest. We have 2 girls and 1 boy and I really think right now the girls are fighting for the boy. I am 90% sure they drowned my girl, she must have flew over.....

My friend would appreciate your sympathy for his loss. He was very heartbroken about it. They were in a small pen together and there was not much the turkey could do once that gander got it in his head to fight to the death. It was a hard lesson for him.

Back
Top Bottom