In need of insight on my geese killing my duck.

clbarley

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 14, 2012
Clatskanie, Oregon
I am still very emotionally raw this morning. When I got home last night I came home to a dead duck in the goose pool. They are in separate pins but she probably flew over. But up until 4 days ago they were in the same pin and no problems and now I came home to a duck with a broken neck dead in the pool. Can anyone shed light on the situation? Thank you.

I'm not sure why this would have happened but I did want to say I'm sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Was any part of her missing? Geese can be very territorial but if they were already together before with no issue it sounds less likely to be that. What size duck was it?

In that case it sounds like a drowning. I had a drake that drowned my young gander once. The body was very similar to what you are describing.

i have recently had to lock up my geese as they started attacking the ducks quite bad

lucky no one was hurt but its all about terratory and geese are very aggressive during breeding season and securing a terratory

I have Embden geese and they went after one of my Pekins and beat it up bad - I processed the duck a few days later and all the meat was badly bruised. If I didn't break them up, they would have killed him. The geese, ducks, and chickens have an acre of land to free range, but if they do not move out of the way of the geese there is problems.

Very sorry for your loss.

My friend has embdens and they recently started having pre-breeding season territorial aggression issues. While my friend had kept his huge 55lb white turkey with the embdens for the past 6 months with no problems, a few days ago the main gander attacked the turkey, dragged him to the pond, and drowned him. It was horrible.

Very sorry for your loss.

My friend has embdens and they recently started having pre-breeding season territorial aggression issues. While my friend had kept his huge 55lb white turkey with the embdens for the past 6 months with no problems, a few days ago the main gander attacked the turkey, dragged him to the pond, and drowned him. It was horrible.
that is sooo sad

even picturing it in my head was a horrible thought

Back
Top Bottom