In need of insight on my geese killing my duck.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by clbarley, Sep 27, 2012.

1. clbarley

clbarley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    I am still very emotionally raw this morning. When I got home last night I came home to a dead duck in the goose pool. They are in separate pins but she probably flew over. But up until 4 days ago they were in the same pin and no problems and now I came home to a duck with a broken neck dead in the pool. Can anyone shed light on the situation? Thank you.

2. Blondiega1

Blondiega1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    I'm not sure why this would have happened but I did want to say I'm sorry for your loss.
    [​IMG]

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Was any part of her missing? Geese can be very territorial but if they were already together before with no issue it sounds less likely to be that. What size duck was it?

4. clbarley

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    No she was fully there. Maybe the drowned her? Is it weird to say I hope it was the geese and not a neighbor. I just dont believe it.

5. clbarley

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    Oh sorry she was a Khaki Campbell. Not to big.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    In that case it sounds like a drowning. I had a drake that drowned my young gander once. The body was very similar to what you are describing.

7. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    i have recently had to lock up my geese as they started attacking the ducks quite bad

lucky no one was hurt but its all about terratory and geese are very aggressive during breeding season and securing a terratory

8. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    I have Embden geese and they went after one of my Pekins and beat it up bad - I processed the duck a few days later and all the meat was badly bruised. If I didn't break them up, they would have killed him. The geese, ducks, and chickens have an acre of land to free range, but if they do not move out of the way of the geese there is problems.

9. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Very sorry for your loss.

My friend has embdens and they recently started having pre-breeding season territorial aggression issues. While my friend had kept his huge 55lb white turkey with the embdens for the past 6 months with no problems, a few days ago the main gander attacked the turkey, dragged him to the pond, and drowned him. It was horrible.

10. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    that is sooo sad

even picturing it in my head was a horrible thought

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by