In need of some advice on introducing my ducks to my chickens in order to cohabitate

The problem was he was being introduced to the flock we already had. We actually kept them separated for a couple weeks until somebody wanted him because he also tried going after our other rooster. The 6 we have we got as chicks and were raised together. So before we knew Rocky was a rooster we were actually told they were all hens. Right after we got mclovin is when Rocky started showing his wattle and comb. When mclovin went after Rocky is when we knew they couldn't be together at all because it is Rockys flock as he was raised with them. We tried everything to get mclovin off my hen including turning the hose on and all he did was latch down harder on the back of her neck and make her scream more. That's when I had to do a light swat and knock him off balance for him to let go of her.
He was a very determined Rooster.
I only try one Rooster per 10 hens. My one last year was mean. Attacked me daily so he is gone.
I have a 4 week old Danish Brown Cockerel I will keep with these pullets I have. If he acts up he will go to auction in the fall.

Here is my experience with ducks and chickens.
I have 4 ducks, 2 females, 2 males. Long story how I ended up with them. honestly once these are gone, NO MORE.

The male ducks, if I would let them, would literally run my hens to death or try to mate them to death. One drake actually killed a buff this spring.
Nothing hornier than a male duck. I would say about Sept. the sex drive quits and then kicks in about late February.

I have just the one coop. The ducks go into the yard during the day and in the coop at night. The drakes go into a metal dog crate at night. If I didn't they would probably kill the first hen that came off the roost if I didn't get out there at the crack of dawn and let the ducks into the yard.

The good thing is ducks are quite "trainable". When I open the coop in the morning the immediately go to the open gate into the yard and I shut it behind them, they go in relatively easy every night as well and the males after about a week of me catching them and putting them in the dog crate got the idea and 90% of the time go in the crate on their own.

Ducks are very messy when it comes to water. I hate when winter arrives and we get snow and they all have to stay in the coop. The duck make a complete mess of the water and shavings.
They also love to drill, so when we get heavy rain and the ground is saturated I end up with drill holes in the yard and I have several places that are just bare dirt in which water use to "sit". Well it still does and the ducks make darn sure no grass will ever grow there while they are on patrol.

I live on a half acre lot and city ordinance only allows one coop per lot so building another structure just for the ducks may bring the inspector. I am allowed 15 birds but somehow I lost count. ;-) so I don't want no inspectors snooping around.

They have been out together most of the afternoon and haven't really shown any interest in each other until a couple minutes ago. One of the hens keeps going near the female duck and here comes Donald mouth wide open protecting his woman lol. The hen keeps going for their feet. They are all pretty much keeping their distance from each other though. Just get this one brave/curious hen Miss Ginger who I'm guessing wants to know what they are lol

Yea that's why I'm just sitting here next to the ducks pool just to keep an eye out and make sure there's no fighting.
They can sure stress us out trying too keep everyone safe and happy!
I always say too the ducks, its all fun and games till someone looses an eye...That's when they are running and acting silly flapping and scooting around.

Back
Top Bottom