In other election news...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mom'sfolly

Crowing
12 Years
Feb 15, 2007
Austin area, Texas
Did anyone notice the vote in Puerto Rico? For the first time ever they have voted for closer status to the US. They rejected commonwealth status and voted 61% for statehood. This will now go to Congress.

It would be very interesting to have a state where most people's first language is Spanish. They are already American citizens, but this will give them representation and voting rights that they now lack. I wonder how the flag would fit in 51 stars?

This is a real iffy subject. A lot of people fear change and couldn't even fathom the thought of adding a star to our flag. Especially a star to our flag where the predominant state's language is Spanish. Puerto Rico gets a lot of flak but if we were to break everything down we can hardly criticize them.

In a perfect world we would let Puerto Rico vote. Either make them a state or set them free from our control.

Unfortunately Americans have a real xenophobic attitude.

And before anyone calls me a racist.(because I know you lovely byc people soooo well.) :rolleyes:
I am VERY close to several PR that have actually lived there...and they say the same thing.

Well, redhen, despite what you thought, Puerto Ricans have always been able to vote in our elections and until further notice they will always be able to. I gotta ask, when you made it very clear you weren't a racist you referenced all your Puerto Rican friends... even though they can vote.... One must ask.. do you really have Puerto Rican friends or were you just trying to put a soft landing before your comment?

edit by BYC Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol..your an ***. You know what I meant..so twist it anyway you want. Just like you do to everyone else. You're a hero..:clap

no, truly, you are a fine lady and I like what you say more than most of the other posters... I just am baffled. You were more scared that they spoke Spanish than anything else. I just don't get how you think the way you do. I am sorry, my comment was a little rude. I just think you are a good lady and you know what's up.. it just bugs me we don't agree in this particular area.

no, truly, you are a fine lady and I like what you say more than most of the other posters... I just am baffled.  You were more scared that they spoke Spanish than anything else.  I just don't get how you think the way you do.   I am sorry, my comment was a little rude.  I just think you are a good lady and you know what's up.. it just bugs me we don't agree in this particular area.  

What are you talking about? What does speaking Spanish have to do with letting citizens of PR vote?
Not going to argue with you.. we're each entitled to our feelings/beliefs. Let it go before it gets ugly.. :)
oh and yeah..no, no made up PR friends. Why would I have to to that? You know me well enough to know I don't give a bleep about what others think about my views.
And they cant get any closer than living in my house with me...lol

edited by BYC staff

Last edited by a moderator:
To Red and Cupman.....you are both correct while being wrong, at the same time. First, my understanding (which I must say is always pretty good) is that Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico are considered US citizens, however, while they live in Puerto Rico they do not vote in any Federal election so they have no congressional representation and do not elect the President. However, if they move to a US State, they can vote. So, how about that?? As for calling on God to help you (or us) if they do get the vote either as a US State or otherwise, was not a good thing. In this country none should be afraid of hearing the will of the people as expressed by their vote.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom