In Over My Head? HALP

qualitymerch

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 9, 2017
Omaha, NE
I think I'm just looking for validation and insight here. For someone that comes from a construction background, I have no idea what I'm doing. Somehow I think I've been given Too Much Freedom and the possibilities are too much for me handle. Ha! So here's ~the plan~ as it stands in my head.
The space I'm using is up against our pole barn/morton building whatever you call it. I have 10'x6' to use, on the west side of it, between the door and window near the middle of the building, and the south side of the building. The 10' wall will be against the barn, I think about 8' tall. There will be a standard sized screen door in both 6' walls, one opening into the coop from the left (north) side, one opening into the run on the right (south) side, and the run will extend past the corner of the barn. I don't know how big the run will be yet since it will open into a chicken moat surrounding my garden beds, when we get to that. The west facing wall will be... 5' or 6' tall, so the pitch of the roof will lead water away from the building. The nesting boxes will be on this side with a door on the outside to access them. The pop door will probably be on the south wall as well, unless I decide to shift the whole coop to the south so that it extends past the corner of the barn. I'll post a picture of the barn to help make sense of this stream of consciousness ramble! In the pic (not a great one but it helps) the coop will be on the right side of the window. Thanks for any input, friends!
IMG-9481.JPG

out of curiosity, if its not your barn, why do you want to build so close to it?
Not my barn as in, I don't have use of it. It's on my property, I just don't get to claim the space like I have with the space outside it. It belongs to the mechanic of the house :rolleyes: The space on the right side of it is going to be used for garden beds, and the space in front of it is another garden bed with a small retaining wall. This spot in front of the barn is one of the few spaces that can't be seen by the street or by neighbors, but can be seen from my house. It's also easily accessible from my house compared to any other spot on the property.

Not my barn as in, I don't have use of it. It's on my property, I just don't get to claim the space like I have with the space outside it. It belongs to the mechanic of the house :rolleyes: .

Same as my shop... My wife has the outside, the inside is mine....all mine...lol

First off, you need to decide how many chickens you want. That will determine size of the coop. From there you can decide what style or type of coop you like.

In the articles section, there's builds of every type of coop known. Some elaborate, some not.

Back
Top Bottom