In Over My Head? HALP

So after some time spent outside in the space it will be in; and a trip to the hardware store, and a trip to salvage some pallets from my dad, I think I've decided on something closer to 8x10. I can use a couple pallets I've salvaged as the foundation after I've poured the footings. It'll give me plenty of room for hens (and maybe a few guineas) with some room to grow my flock over time. I found some free 8' 4x4s I can use for the back wall that will be against the barn, and I think I have some 5/6/7' 4x4s I can use for the others. That's as far as my plan has gotten so far but I'm feeling a little better overall.

As I mentioned before, I would leave a space between the coop and the barn. Couple of feet. If too close, leaves and debris will collect causing moisture between the two structures. Moisture equals rot.

Can you draw it out? That may be helpful, though it sounds like you may have it covered for the most part with talking it out with @mowin @pintail_drake2004 @Friendly_Lurker . Good you have construction background. Use screws so you can move stuff around if you decide to later on ;)

Some of the biggest complaints that I hear from cold weather people (and warm) is space, space, space. Double the size of everything if you can... bigger is always better with chickens :rolleyes:.
I'm in a warm spot but still ended up doubling EVERYTHING after my first year- then I built a multi use mini coop that serves as hospital, quarantine, broody breaker and brooder. Makes chicken keeping more wonderful. I made a separation door on mini so it can multi purpose and lord knows it has on many occasions. I have 12 hens and a recent rooster (plus 4 chicks now). My main coop is 3.6'x 16' multilevel w/ 8' of double roosting bar. My chickens would FREAK if they had to be locked in it. My run is 22'x16', I have my (ever shrinking) garden next to it that they have almost full access to and I still let them free range to keep happy and healthy chickens. I am warm weather w/ only domestic predators/dogs/feral cats. Adjust accordingly!!!!!
20191003_075805 (2).jpg
20191003_075942.jpg
20200127_170909.jpg
20200201_152353.jpg
20191203_075253 (2).jpg
;)
Mistakes that I have made- making nest boxes too high, therefore roosts too high for my big breeds and underestimating the space chickens REALLY need vs what is recommended.
I also used screws, took my time (for the most part) chicken proofed my garden. Chickens and gardens do not live in harmony. Enjoy the process.
I don't know if this helped you at all. Keep looking, reading from BYC and keep an open mind. I found the funnest part of my coop build was adjusting to their needs, adding on etc. Have fun and keep us posted :lol:

***Post note: I was also on a strict budget cuz hubby was not on board with chickens. I used untreated lumber, pallets, scrounged, given, harvested etc. but I came in @ under $200 for my first 3.6x8' first coop- adds on were cheaper.

Last edited:
Chickens and guineas don't necessarily get along. If you are going to keep guineas as well, I would build them separate housing. I say this from experience. Things will start off ok, but you will have chickens taking on guinea habits of flightiness. My guineas would accost my chickens when treats were fed, pulling tail feathers and running a guerilla form of attack that chickens don't understand. You will also spend much effort training and shooing your guineas into their coop at night once they get older if you have trees, even if they were trained to it as keets. Be prepared to buy a 20 foot pole to get them out of the trees, or just let them roost there. Guineas also do better in larger numbers, 8-10 birds or more. You need at least one female for each male, 2 is probably better. Come first mating season, if a male can't find a mate they may fly off to seek one. There are lots of ins and outs with guineas. The best suggestion I can make is house them separately, and when they mix with the chickens, they won't consider the chickens a part of their flock, and they should mostly ignore one another and live in peace. Check out the Guinea subforum!

Back
Top Bottom