In over my head with DUCKS! NEED ADVICE!

cat5momma

Hatching
Mar 7, 2018
So happy to be a new member on backyard chickens! I come here often looking for help with occasional duck health concerns. I've got 3 Khaki Campbells at the moment with 4 ducklings on order to arrive later this month. SO EXCITED! We live in an urban setting, and while it has been challenging figuring out what works and what doesn't, it has been worth it.

Today I'm in need of some help. One of my females (named Ruth) is having a health issue. I cannot figure out exactly what it is however. I've done hours upon hours of research, and all the while have been treating her as best I can. Hopefully one of you can help me.

Her vent is slightly protruding. It is crusty but not oozing. When you soak her bum and then pull off the crust, it honestly looks like bumblefoot underneath! It is thick, white, and firm, and for the most part can be peeled off. This sometimes causes a tiny bit of bleeding. Yesterday we noticed that she actually now has bumblefoot on the tips of several of her toes. We are treating both toes and vent with Rooster Booster Poultry Wound Care (LOVE that stuff). With treatment it seems to get better but never really goes away. She has lost alot of weight, is my worst egg layer (lays rubber or no shell eggs consistently), and suffers from wet feather. I have no clue if this is all tied together. But this poor girl!! I can post pics later if need be. Any help would be appreciated.

:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

So happy to be a new member on backyard chickens! I come here often looking for help with occasional duck health concerns. I've got 3 Khaki Campbells at the moment with 4 ducklings on order to arrive later this month. SO EXCITED! We live in an urban setting, and while it has been challenging figuring out what works and what doesn't, it has been worth it.

Today I'm in need of some help. One of my females (named Ruth) is having a health issue. I cannot figure out exactly what it is however. I've done hours upon hours of research, and all the while have been treating her as best I can. Hopefully one of you can help me.

Her vent is slightly protruding. It is crusty but not oozing. When you soak her bum and then pull off the crust, it honestly looks like bumblefoot underneath! It is thick, white, and firm, and for the most part can be peeled off. This sometimes causes a tiny bit of bleeding. Yesterday we noticed that she actually now has bumblefoot on the tips of several of her toes. We are treating both toes and vent with Rooster Booster Poultry Wound Care (LOVE that stuff). With treatment it seems to get better but never really goes away. She has lost alot of weight, is my worst egg layer (lays rubber or no shell eggs consistently), and suffers from wet feather. I have no clue if this is all tied together. But this poor girl!! I can post pics later if need be. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to BYC & congrats on the upcoming arrival of ducklings.

Please do post on the link provided by Pork Pie Ken.

Include as much of the below listed information as possible in your first post...

Describe housing set up.
What do you feed?
Does she seem to be eating, drinking & eliminating normally?
How long has this been going on?
Is this the first time this has happened?
How old is she?
How much weight has she lost & over what period of time?
Include as many pics as possible.

:fl Hope you get her sorted very soon.

welcome-group.gif
Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

Hope your Duck gets better soon

G’Day from down under cat5momma :frow Welcome!

I too am sorry to hear that your girl is not well and wish her and you all the best!

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock and new ducklings when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom