In Praise of the Traditional Hanging Feeder

@3KillerBs, I think they misspelled the name on that. I think that is "Farm Stuff," stuff that someone is making in a slap-dash fashion, trying to capitalize on the wave of pandemic backyard chickens.

I, too, have bought some cheap ol' farm stuff, trying to find out what works for what I need.

I bought it when I had my in-town flock. I've got it somewhere in the garage still packed for moving.

Just a heads up about the open top plastic feeders...I found a three-week old chick down inside it one morning. All was well but it could have been there overnight easily, was apparently trying to perch on the top and fell in. I tossed that one!

Just a heads up about the open top plastic feeders...I found a three-week old chick down inside it one morning. All was well but it could have been there overnight easily, was apparently trying to perch on the top and fell in. I tossed that one!

Anti-roost covers on feeders are important.

In addition to preventing such accidents, they keep the feed clean.

I have two, a Little Giant 12 lb, nearly 5 years old and a Harris Farms 15 lb.View attachment 2581876
Both are inside the coops.
I let them get nearly empty and clean every 1 to 3 months, depending on humidity in summer or dampness in cooler months.
Some feeds have molasses or more than 3% fat and require more frequent cleaning. GC
Hi, do you happen to have pictures of inside your coop you'd like to share, please? Working on setting ours up so that there's enough room to roost and feed without a mess. Thank you!! We're super new at this but loving it!

Hi, do you happen to have pictures of inside your coop you'd like to share, please? Working on setting ours up so that there's enough room to roost and feed without a mess. Thank you!!
Here's some pics I put together for you.
20201227_092932_resized_kindlephoto-95057468.jpg
20200827_060556_resized_kindlephoto-93674851.jpg
20201014_085352_resized_kindlephoto-94450640.jpg
20210301_050700_resized_kindlephoto-95486084.jpg
20210418_052218_resized_kindlephoto-95325112.jpg
20200827_060401_resized_kindlephoto-97152976.jpg
20201031_053753_resized_kindlephoto-96929763.jpg

I hope this helps. GC

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that this is the one I've got that keeps coming unscrewed.

71J3iLTluXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

There's a bolt on the bottom too -- the threaded rod goes all the way through -- and that's the one that keeps dropping off no matter what we did with adding lock washers and using Loctite.
Looks like mine. Spring loaded at the top? That's the one that flew off for me. I added two nuts and a washer just below the white part for desired depth and a washer and a wing nut (Maybe washer, nut, wing nut) at the top. And I used a wire basket hanger to hang. I don't recall doing anything with the bottom nut. I've had no problems since.

Edit: It's very likely that I used lock washers in between things as well.

Last edited:
Having two or more feeders and waterers helps keep the flock social order calmer, so everyone can eat without being harassed.
My metal feeders have lasted way over ten years, indoors out of the rain. Also, Premier1supplies sells good plastic feeders, with deeper troughs that help limit billing out even more.
IMG_1423.JPG

This one is sitting on blocks, with youngsters eating.
IMG_0427 (1).JPG

The same feeder, next to a Chantie hen. It holds about fifteen pounds of feed and hangs up very well too.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom