In search of hatching eggs for blue, green and pink layers!

Thank you so much for your reply. I will check that out. Are Easter Eggers the best breed for colored eggs? Or are there more specific breeds that lay specifically blue, specifically pink, specifically Green, etc.?

Easter Eggers lay mostly blue and green eggs, with some being pink. You never know what you're going to get, until they start laying. If you order Frizzled Easter Eggers from Meyer Hatchery, be sure to inspect the chicks thoroughly. I just bought 16 baby chicks from Myers Hatchery. 15 hens, 1 rooster. I ordered 10 different breeds of baby chicks, 2 of those hen chicks being Frizzled Easter Eggers. I also ordered 2 Fibro Easter Eggers as well. With 1 of those Frizzled Easter Egger hens having a rare tongue and beak deformity. But we didn't really notice it until a few days ago. Her top beak is hooked down and I can see her tongue moving in her throat! It's the oddest thing. We named her Ducky, because she reminded us of Ducky from kids movie "The Land Before Time". They hatched on August 28th. And turn 4 weeks today. She acts normal, other than her being smaller than the rest and the whole tongue issue. But being an Easter Egger, we don't know the birds genetics, and not sure how much genetics has to do with her size. We're still not sure what to do about her issue. I've seen someone else on here have the same problem with their Easter Egger, they didn't say where they got her. But vet bills and surgery sound really expensive. But we also don't want her suffering either.

Thank you so much for your reply. I will check that out. Are Easter Eggers the best breed for colored eggs? Or are there more specific breeds that lay specifically blue, specifically pink, specifically Green, etc.?
Easter Eggers are a mixed breed that can lay blue, green, pink and sometimes tan eggs. They are generally good layers and are known for their sweet personalities.
Some of the breeds that lay blue include Ameraucana (often confused with EE), Crested Cream Legbar and Shetland Hen.
Green include Olive Eggers (also a mixed breed or hybrid), Silverudds Blue (named for the feathers) and Schijndelaar. There are no chickens specifically that lay pink eggs. Eggs look pink when there is a “bloom” over tan eggs. Other than EEs, Wyandotte and Orpington eggs can have this bloom.
Hope this helps.😊

Easter Eggers lay mostly blue and green eggs, with some being pink. You never know what you're going to get, until they start laying. If you order Frizzled Easter Eggers from Meyer Hatchery, be sure to inspect the chicks thoroughly. I just bought 16 baby chicks from Myers Hatchery. 15 hens, 1 rooster. I ordered 10 different breeds of baby chicks, 2 of those hen chicks being Frizzled Easter Eggers. I also ordered 2 Fibro Easter Eggers as well. With 1 of those Frizzled Easter Egger hens having a rare tongue and beak deformity. But we didn't really notice it until a few days ago. Her top beak is hooked down and I can see her tongue moving in her throat! It's the oddest thing. We named her Ducky, because she reminded us of Ducky from kids movie "The Land Before Time". They hatched on August 28th. And turn 4 weeks today. She acts normal, other than her being smaller than the rest and the whole tongue issue. But being an Easter Egger, we don't know the birds genetics, and not sure how much genetics has to do with her size. We're still not sure what to do about her issue. I've seen someone else on here have the same problem with their Easter Egger, they didn't say where they got her. But vet bills and surgery sound really expensive. But we also don't want her suffering either.
You are describing cross beak and unfortunately it is not uncommon in Easter Eggers. It can however happen with any breed. With help these birds can live a somewhat normal life, depending on the severity. There are many people here on BYC that have successfully raised a cross beak chick without surgery or vet visits.😊

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...kens-including-tube-feeding-techniques.64321/

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
You are describing cross beak and unfortunately it is not uncommon in Easter Eggers. It can however happen with any breed. With help these birds can live a somewhat normal life, depending on the severity. There are many people here on BYC that have successfully raised a cross beak chick without surgery or vet visits.😊

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...kens-including-tube-feeding-techniques.64321/

Edited for clarity.
Unfortunately it's not cross beak. I wish it were. There are plenty of chickens that survive with cross beak, this is more rare. There is another thread going on right now, here in BYC, with an Easter Egger that has the same deformity. They brought that chick to an avian vet, and had surgery done. I'm following that thread to see the outcome.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-chick-with-growth.1539580/

Here's the link if anyone would like to check it out.

Unfortunately it's not cross beak. I wish it were. There are plenty of chickens that survive with cross beak, this is more rare. There is another thread going on right now, here in BYC, with an Easter Egger that has the same deformity. They brought that chick to an avian vet, and had surgery done. I'm following that thread to see the outcome.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-chick-with-growth.1539580/

Here's the link if anyone would like to check it out.
Sounds like you found the right place for info. Hope your little chick makes it. :hugs

I hatched some eggs from Meyer earlier this year. They did a great job packing & shipping them!

I would suggest ordering a variety. Maybe 6 Easter Egger, 6 Olive Egger, and 6 tan/cream for a shot at pink bloom (Faverolles or Orpingtons maybe)? I believe Meyer carries all of those breeds, not sure what’s currently available.

Back
Top Bottom