IN TEARS--ENTIRE HATCH RUINED! UPDATED

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

So I went to bed last night with both of my 'bators cranking along--one at 99.5 and the other (my still air) at 100.

It was day 9 with my chicken eggs & day 2 of my Sebastopol eggs.

I woke up at 5:30 this morning to let the puppy out & to check on my eggs.

To my HORROR, BOTH incubators read 102.3!!! WTH? [​IMG] I immediately opened up the bators & turned down the temps.

I burst into tears & woke up my less-than-thrilled hubby, whose blurry-eyed response was, "Come back to bed, there is nothing you can do now!"

So are they ruined? Should I chuck them or wait a few days & candle them??

I'm completely beside myself & I still feel sick about it--especially the Sebastopol eggs--ALL five of them!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2008
  2. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I would wait. Someone on here said that theirs got up to 110 and still had some hatch.

Dorothy

3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I wouldn't give up yet. The range for still air is 101-102 so you're only talking .3 of a degree.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'd say they are NOT ruined...takes temp spikes alot higher and alot longer to ruin a hatch..Keep the faith and candle when again when its time...Nothing to lose by trying....

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Dont worry i had a temperature spike up to 105.9F and still have chicks (still in the eggs)that made it.

6. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    I would not give up. Not at all. [​IMG]

7. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    [​IMG] Don't you give up on them egg's you hear..... [​IMG] There is still a good chance they will hatch...... [​IMG]

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I'll 4th, 5th and 6th that... just keep an eye on them, but take them through to the end. Eggs hatch in the hotter states where it gets way above that... you're probably fine!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Don't fret. I know people who have had them up to 106+ and still had hatches. I've had spikes up to 105.

10. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't throw them out!! You don't know how long they were at 102! I have had the exact temps before and my eggs still hatched!! Please don't give up on them!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by