In the emergency of a natural disaster where do you move your chickens?

I am dropping flock size down to 50 birds in coming weeks. I lack the facilities needed to make the fodder for that many chickens.

Do you have space to make them grazing frames? This could stretch your grain further too.

I have made raised beds out of old tyres in the chicken run.

IMG20200119140250.jpg
IMG20200119140310.jpg

Herbs in the first tyre and grass in the second. I have 12 tyres in the run altogether with a mix of grass seeds and oats in most of them. They are covered in wire mesh so that the girls can't dig them out but can peck at the green that grows through. Grass, flat leaved parsley and comfrey are very popular!

Do you have space to make them grazing frames? This could stretch your grain further too.

I have made raised beds out of old tyres in the chicken run.

View attachment 2050459View attachment 2050460

Herbs in the first tyre and grass in the second. I have 12 tyres in the run altogether with a mix of grass seeds and oats in most of them. They are covered in wire mesh so that the girls can't dig them out but can peck at the green that grows through. Grass, flat leaved parsley and comfrey are very popular!
I could do maybe a dozen birds that way. I already have numerous pens that can be moved about like chicken tractors. It is possible to move the pens frequently so the birds can get all they need by foraging in the pens, but that requires multiple moves per day in select areas where forage quality and quantity are better than average.

Approach to be used will be rotating groups / flocks released for free-ranging on a given day. Dogs will exclude bad guys and rationed feed will be used to keep ranging tight.

@centrarchid what types of dogs do you have? I'm going to get a dog sometime and I'd like one that's ok with the chooks.
I'd steer clear of sight hunting dogs (like greyhounds) and terriers. Because they have been bred to chase and kill small prey you will be training them against their instincts.

That said my 3 dogs mostly ignore the chooks and one is a terrier x border collie. The others are a German Shepherd mix and a Golden Retriever.

I think the introduction and supervision are the most important really (next to temperament). Once the dog has accepted the chickens as part of the family pack there shouldn't be too much trouble.

The chooks have driven the dogs off their bones so they can peck at them. I think they have reached an understanding :lol:

I'd steer clear of sight hunting dogs (like greyhounds) and terriers. Because they have been bred to chase and kill small prey you will be training them against their instincts.

That said my 3 dogs mostly ignore the chooks and one is a terrier x border collie. The others are a German Shepherd mix and a Golden Retriever.

I think the introduction and supervision are the most important really (next to temperament). Once the dog has accepted the chickens as part of the family pack there shouldn't be too much trouble.

The chooks have driven the dogs off their bones so they can peck at them. I think they have reached an understanding :lol:
German Pointers are not for you. I like high prey drive coupled with smarts. A good hunting dog only goes after what it is supposed to, no trash hunting.

German Pointers are not for you. I like high prey drive coupled with smarts. A good hunting dog only goes after what it is supposed to, no trash hunting.
I'm partial to mixed breeds myself :D;)

My old Greyhound did chase the chickens once early on. She had a high prey drive coupled with goofiness .:lol:

I know this thread is dead but I wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone who supported us Australians through that really difficult period. I cannot express in words my gratitude to those firefighters who fought those fires for us.
I’m quite certain I would have lost my home if it wasn’t for the containment line that protected the valley I’m in. This thread has been dead for a bit now so I thought I’d thank you all for the prayers that helped get myself and my family through that.
Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts and everything you have done to help us. I will forever be grateful.

Back
Top Bottom