In the emergency of a natural disaster where do you move your chickens?

Pics

Butterscotchbitesfinger

Enabler
5 Years
Nov 2, 2018
NSW Australia
Ok I apologise if this is in the wrong section but I couldn’t decide where’s to post this. I have 7 hens and a rooster, I live in nsw Australia. It is catastrophic fire conditions down here featuring hot winds and dry grass and already crazy fires. This doesn’t just apply to me but I’m almost certain multiple other families all over the world are thinking the same things I am. If we have to evacuate tomorrow how do we move the animals? In particular the chickens. Rabbits and guinea pigs are easy as are the horses and dogs but the chickens. How long can they sit in a car? Where are suggestions of places we can move them? You see our friends with property May and possibly are under the same conditions. This could apply to all sorts of natural disasters. But in particular my situation is bad because we have a under control bush fire burning not 50 k’s away from us....
Thanks in advance for your response.

Where are you evacuating to if you have to go? Some places now set up knowing people will have pets with them.
Do you have a large dog crate you could transport & keep them in for a few days? The crate could be parked somewhere cool & shady at the evac centre. My other suggestion would be to contact your rural vet. They may be able to offer accommodation or know somewhere that could.

Hey so my plan is, and I am lucky here, I have smaller pens I normally use for brooders I can house them in for a couple days. They would be on back of ute kept sheltered until we reached family/friends which is where they would stay until safe to return. I did think it was odd with all the prep for tomorrow that I had only seen instructions for dogs cats and horses. There's definetly more animals then that, that need safe places to go tomorrow. Following along to see what others suggest

Firstly - Please stay safe, don’t take any risks.

we are at “extreme” level, 5 RFS strike teams arrived tonight, from Vic, to help with anything that may occur tomorrow around the region. I know we are meant to be calmed by that, knowing there is help there, but it is scary at the same time.

Our evacuation centre, after much deliberation on FB of where it actually was and with lots of people disappointed it wasn’t the local pubs :gig Hasn’t said If they take pets or not.

We just plan on creating up the cats, chickens and the dog, and taking an exit the opposite to any fire that eventuates. We live opposite a large scrub area, so if something starts, I am gone.

We have no one to go to, so we are just going to drive till We find a safer area, pets all in tow and work it all out when We get there, deep down i am just hoping nothing eventuates.

Firstly - Please stay safe, don’t take any risks.

we are at “extreme” level, 5 RFS strike teams arrived tonight, from Vic, to help with anything that may occur tomorrow around the region. I know we are meant to be calmed by that, knowing there is help there, but it is scary at the same time.

Our evacuation centre, after much deliberation on FB of where it actually was and with lots of people disappointed it wasn’t the local pubs :gig Hasn’t said If they take pets or not.

We just plan on creating up the cats, chickens and the dog, and taking an exit the opposite to any fire that eventuates. We live opposite a large scrub area, so if something starts, I am gone.

We have no one to go to, so we are just going to drive till We find a safer area, pets all in tow and work it all out when We get there, deep down i am just hoping nothing eventuates.
Stay safe. This is a crazy fire season.

I thought about this too and I’m further south. I also thought about a dog crate for the chooks and pet carriers for the cats. Grab a bale/bag of hay, food, bowl, water bottle or bowl, kitty litter and box. Maybe a towel to chuck over the chooks at bedtime. A rubber glove to remove chook poo to keep the crate reasonably fresh. I hope tomorrow is as drama-free as possible. :(:fl

Back
Top Bottom