IN THE MIDDLE OF ASSISTING PLEASE HELP

Pics

ButtonHoarder

Ich bin der knopfe
Premium Feather Member
Sep 11, 2020
Neptune
Okay, so, this baby internally pipped saturday afternoonish. yesterday afternoon a made a safety hole bacause there was no progress. when i woke up and looked at Eggo, still nothing, so i chipped away some of the shell above the air cell. i read that you're supposed to use coconut oil, BUT WE HAVE NONE. i know this is probably really bad, but i used crisco. im going to try and get a picture so i can post it and ask yall if i should do more. please help me!

Okay take a deep breath and hold it then let it out slowly :).

What we need to know is the chick breathing normally?

You have removed enough of the shell it should be able to move slightly, is it?

Also, if the chick is making swallowing motions DO NOT do anything further until it stops. This is a sign it is absorbing the yolk.

from the picture, you are now in a full assist mode as there is no leverage for the chick to push its beak against to move and rotate. the act of chipping away at the shell as they move loosens them and allows them to move around so they can push out.

At this point, with that amount of shell removed the chick is wrapped or stuck.

In the space above the head, carefully chip away at the shell and using a small kids paint brush and liquid crisco paint the membrane looking for veins, if no veins, using the paint brush tease away the membrane from the chick. continue doing so until the chick moves its head out of the shell, then place back in the incubator giving it a rest and the time to see if it will push out on its own. About an hour or so.

If you do have to completely remove the chick from shell, place the chick in a small glass with a flat bottom covered in folded paper towel to rest and exercise its legs. the act of using its legs to push itself out of the shell is what sets the tendons in place, so we give it an artificial shell hoping it will let the chick do so on its own.

In the future, you can melt the crisco {make sure it is at room temp before using] or use olive oil and use a small tiny kids paint brush to brush it on the membrane, that way you never have to worry if you have used to much.

Well it’s sure chirping a lot of that helps.

Could I maybe use a q-tip? I don’t think we have any small paint brushes, but I could look.
What if the yolk isn’t fully absorbed? Just pick at the shell until I can see it?

Thanks!
If the yolk is not fully absorbed. STOP go no further, you will have to wait and check every 6 hours. as long as there is no blood in the veins within the membrane chances are the yolk is pretty much absorbed at this point. if it is not making swallowing motions start the assist.

If there is a lot of chirping, chances are the chick is stuck if the head is is in the same position as in the picture.

A q-tip can be used but is not optimal as it is very hard and it makes it difficult to tease things with. Next time you are in a store pick a few up they are not expensive.

I'm sorry I wasn't on this morning. It's hard to tell from the pictures but if you were able to remove that much membrane with no bleeding then it's probably ready. It's when you see bleeding that you need to stop, apply gentle pressure with the q-tip and then put it back in the Incubator to wait.

Assists do quite often require multiple removals from the Incubator to check progression, apply ointment, attempt removing membrane and so forth. So please don't fret about taking the chick out multiple times. Sometimes it's a quick process and the chick is ready, other times it takes multiple times.

For future reference, as mentioned by others, triple antibiotic ointment without pain reliever, and applying with a q-tip is my favorite method.

I'm sorry this has been so stressful for you but you're doing the right thing by taking your time to make sure the little one is fully ready! Again, I do think since you were able to remove so much membrane without bleeding that it's probably ready so I imagine it will be safe to slowly proceed once you get home. Just take your time when working on it. Nobody wants their chick to get chilled but it's much worse if you rush things.

It probably isn't ready to hatch yet.

The purpose of the safety hole is to let in more oxygen so the chick can pip and hatch on it's own.

I've assisted a hatch as you have too soon and lost the chick. Luckily you only chipped away at the air cell, so you probably didn't cause any damage, however this chick may need a full assist when it is finally ready.

Crisco probably won't hurt, but coconut oil has antibacterial properties and I'm going to assume that's why it's suggested.

I'm afraid you're going to have to sit on your hands.

oh ok. now I feel dumb, I should've known that

You're not dumb. You just learned something new! If I felt dumb every time I learned something new...well...
OP.gif

Back
Top Bottom