IN THE MIDDLE OF ASSISTING PLEASE HELP

So, I opened up one, it was dead. I opened up two, they were dead. I opened up them all, and they were dead. :hit:(:(:hit
Thanks for your help everyone! Without you, the one chick I have probably wouldn’t have made it.

I’m getting blrw chicks that are only a few days old soon, so Eggo won’t be lonely.
Awww. I'm sorry. What happened? Was there a spike or something?

Wait I thought I read something that said they were day 26? Or was that a different thread...
Yeah, this was day 26. But people think maybe my temp was too low and my thermometers were wrong, which is probably what happened.
Awww. I'm sorry. What happened? Was there a spike or something?
I don’t know. Not that I know of, unless it happened while I was asleep.

I had a chance to look at the pics, I agree they are all dead. the first four died somewhere around day 20 to 21 it looks like. the last 2 quite around day 10 to 11 at the latest.

And I agree that the fault lies most likely with the incubator.

Go to the store and buy a good old fashioned bulb style rectal thermometer. place a few fake eggs in the incubator, the turner tray off and place thermometer on top of the eggs. compare the temp with your other thermometers and the incubators thermometer. do this for several days at different times and log the temps. Move once you know what your incubator is running at, move the thermometer around to see if you have cold spots to find out if the cold spots or hot spots are at a temp that would be detrimental to hatching.

As an example.

I have a GQF Hova-bator that is giving me terrible hatches this past month. Of course it has only been off for a total of 4 weeks in 2 years, so I have worn the heating element out more than likely. Either that or the electronics. it is starting to really have some swings in the temps.

I use a Govee H5071thermometer / hygrometer in all my incubators. I put it in one of the egg cups in the turners, The good thing, once you calibrate the device, is it continually logs temps and humidity and you can pull all of it up and see when and where the temps are going wrong.

In one incubator I found that at 5pm every day the temps would swing to high and found out that the sun is now traveling in such a way it shines in the window and hits the incubator. Since I check the logs often, I was able to fix the problem by drawing the blinds and didn't lose the hatch.

And I agree that the fault lies most likely with the incubator.

Go to the store and buy a good old fashioned bulb style rectal thermometer. place a few fake eggs in the incubator, the turner tray off and place thermometer on top of the eggs. compare the temp with your other thermometers and the incubators thermometer. do this for several days at different times and log the temps. Move once you know what your incubator is running at, move the thermometer around to see if you have cold spots to find out if the cold spots or hot spots are at a temp that would be detrimental to hatching.
+100 on this! We've hatched chicks for several years now, and temperature and humidity are VERY important. So, one might ask, how do you know your thermometer and hygrometer are accurate? Buy at least one GOOD thermometer and hygrometer and check the others you have against the good ones. It might be worth buying backups of the good ones to check them against each other.

In our first year hatching chicks, I was so worried that our temp and humidity might not be accurate that I bought 4 or 5 of each and was constantly checking them against each other. Did it work? Does it continue to work? I think it does: Of roughly 20 eggs that we set each spring, we've lost maybe 2 or 3 chicks.

We were blessed with good results from day one, and you will have success too. Stay with it, and you'll get there!

Eggo pics!
90C24E73-F14A-41E7-A3EE-2AD2F1069382.jpeg

5D57955D-8A74-4596-A050-BE633B27DFA4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom